As per the provisions of Article 111 of the Constitution of India, President Pranab Mukherjee has given assent to five key bills that were passed by both the houses of Parliament, Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha in the recently concluded winter session of Parliament.
Here is the list of Bills Consented by President
- Atomic Energy (Amendment) Act: It will allow state-run Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL) to have collaboration with other public sector undertakings in the nuclear field.
- Amendment – It will amend Atomic Energy Act 1962 to change the definition of “Government Company” in the Act with a view to expand its scope.
- Payment of Bonus (Amendment) Act, 2015: It provides for enhancing monthly bonus calculation ceiling to Rs. 7,000 per month from the existing Rs. 3,500. It also enhances the eligibility limit for payment of bonus from Rs. 10,000 per month to Rs. 21,000 per month.
- Amendment – It will amend Payment of Bonus Act, 1965.
- Arbitration and Conciliation (Amendment) Act, 2015: As per this act, an arbitrator will have to settle a case within 18 months. After the completion of 12 months, certain restrictions will be put in place to ensure that the arbitration case does not linger.
- Amendment – It will amend Arbitration and Conciliation Act, 1996.
- Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendment Act, 2015: Under this assaulting or sexually exploiting an SC or ST woman is an offence. The Act states that any intentional touching of an SC or ST woman in a sexual manner without her consent, using words, acts or gestures of a sexual nature, dedicating her as a devadasi to a temple or any similar practice will be considered an offence.
- Amendment – It will amend Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989.
- Commercial Courts, Commercial Division and Commercial Appellate Division of High Courts Act: It is aimed at creating commercial benches in select high courts.