On May 1, 2020 The Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Narendra Singh Tomar has added 200 new mandis to the e-National Agriculture Market(e-NAM) platform from 7 States & stated that by May 2020 there will be around 1,000 Mandis joining the e-NAM platform for marketing of Agricultural produce at a function in Krishi Bhawan through video conference.Key Points
i.Live trading between mandis from Kurnool and Hubli in groundnuts and maize took place
ii.The 200 markets integrated with the e-NAM platform are: Andhra Pradesh (11 mandis), Gujarat (25 mandis), Odisha (16 mandis), Rajasthan (94 mandis), Tamil Nadu (27 mandis), Uttar Pradesh (25 mandis) & Karnataka (02 mandis).
iii.Currently there are 585 e-NAM mandis in 16 States and 02 Union Territories on adding the new mandis it will come to the total of 785.
iv.It is the 1st milestone achieved in the path of integrating 415 new markets across the country & is the 1st time Karnataka is added to the list of e-NAM States.
v.It has gained more strength by reaching out to more farmers & traders of these new mandis, aiming to reach the last mile farmer and change the way they sell agricultural produce.
e-NAM integrated with UMP
For the 1st time in India 2 different e-trading platforms e-NAM & Unified Market Platform(UMP) of Karnataka’s Rashtriya e-Market Services (ReMS), an e-trading platform promoted by the Karnataka State Agriculture Marketing Board for Agri commodities of the scale will be made interoperable
- Facilitate traders across both platforms & e-NAM to execute flawless trading in both the platforms by using Single Sign On framework.
- Help farmers of Karnataka to sell their produce to a large number of traders registered with e-NAM and even farmers from e-NAM mandis in other States will be able to sell their produce to Karnataka traders who are enrolled with ReMS platform of Karnataka & will promote inter-State trade between the States on-boarded on e-NAM platform & Karnataka.
Highlights of e-NAM
- As of 30th April 2020, total trade volume of 3.41 Crore MT & 37 Lakh numbers (Bamboo & Coconut) collectively worth approximately Rs 1 lakh crore have been recorded on e-NAM platform.
- 1.66 Crore Farmers & 1.28 lakh traders have registered on e-NAM platform, currently there are more than 1,000 Farmers Producer Organisations(FPOs) on-boarded on e-NAM platform.
- It facilitates trade beyond mandi/ state borders. A total of 233 mandis have participated in inter- mandi trade within 12 States, where 13 States/UTs have participated in the inter-state trading on e-NAM platform which allows farmers to interact directly with distantly located traders.
The Ministers of State(MoS) for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Parshottan Rupala & Kailash Choudhary, Secretary of Department Agriculture Cooperation and Farmers Welfare(AC&FW), Sanjay Agarwal, and senior officers of the Ministry.
Few launches by the ministry to tackle COVID-19:
i.2 modules: FPO module- To help the farmer members of FPO to trade from their collection center; Warehouse module- farmers can sell their stored produce in Warehousing Development and Regulatory Authority(WDRA) registered warehouses, which are declared as deemed mandi by States.
Aim– To help farmers to sell their produce without bringing them to mandi
ii.“Kisan Rath” mobile app to help farmers to find suitable transport vehicles/tractors to carry their produce to nearby mandi and warehouse etc.
Constituency of Ministers:
Narendra Singh Tomar- Morena, Madhya Pradesh
Parshottan Rupala- Gujarat
Kailash Choudhary- Baytoo, Rajasthan