The 12th South Asian Games 2016 title has been clinched by India, which were held at Guwahati and Shillong, India from 5 February to 16 February 2016.
- Participated nations – Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka
- Mascot – Tikhor (Baby Rhino): Tikhor carries the message of Peace, Progress, and Prosperity in the South Asian region
- Motto – “Play for Peace, Progress and Prosperity”
- Anthem – A famous Assamese song, “Ei Prithibi Ek Krirangan” (The world is a playground) by Bhupen Hazarika.
A total of 2,672 athletes were participated in 226 events that were held in 22 sports. The event offered 788 medals (239 Gold, 239 Silver and 310 Bronze medals).
Final Medal Tally
About South Asian Games:
Started in 1984, The South Asian Games aka SAF Games, SAG SA games or South Asian Federation Games are a biennial multi-sport event held among the athletes from South Asia with a view to boost up the team spirit as well as relationship between the South Asian countries.
- The governing body of these games is South Asian Sports Council (SASC), formed in 1983.
- The venue for 2019 South Asian Games will be hold in Kathmandu, Nepal.