World Wildlife Day celebrated every year on 3rd March is celebrated with the aim of preserve the rich flora and fauna of our World and to protect the endangered species from extinction.
- United nations general assembly(UNGA) at its 68th session decided to proclaim 3rd March of every year as World Wildlife Day
- It was proposed by Thailand to celebrate and raise awareness of World’s flora and fauna.
- The date is the day of the adoption of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) in 1973
- The General Assembly took note of the outcome of the 16th meeting of the Conference of the Parties to CITES, held in Bangkok from 3 to 14 March 2013 to celebrate it as World Wildlife Day
- It also recognized the importance of role of CITES in ensuring that international trade does not threaten the survival of species
- The General Assembly requested the CITES Secretariat, in collaboration with relevant organizations of the United Nations system, to facilitate the implementation of World Wildlife Day
- 2015: The 2015 theme is “Wildlife Crime is serious, let’s get serious about wildlife crime”
- 2016 :theme is “The future of wildlife is in our hands”, with African and Asian elephants being the main focus of global campaign