World Metrology Day is annually observed across the globe on 20th May to create awareness about the Metrology, scientific study of measurement and its application.
The day also recognizes and celebrates the contribution of the people who work in intergovernmental and national metrology organizations and institutes.
- The observance marks the anniversary of the signing of the Metre Convention on 20th May 1875.
The theme of World Metrology Day observed on 20th May 2023 is “Measurements supporting the global food system”.
- The 2023 theme addressed the increasing challenges of climate change and the global distribution of food in a world whose population reached 8 billion at the end of 2022.
The observance is a joint project by the Bureau International des Poids et Mesures (BIPM) International Organisation of Legal Metrology (OIML – Organisation Internationale de Métrologie Légale).
i.During the 21st meeting of the General Conference on Weights and Measures held in October 1999, the International Committee for Weights and Measures (CIPM) decided to mark the 20th May of every year as Metrology Day.
ii.The first-ever Metrology Day was celebrated on 20th May 2000.
- May 2000 marked the 125th anniversary of the Metre Convention.
Metre Convention 1875:
Metre Convention set the framework for global collaboration in the science of measurement and in its industrial, commercial and societal applications.
- Aim: The worldwide uniformity of measurement.
- This lead to the creation of the International Bureau of Weights and Measures, the International Committee for Weights and Measures, and instigated the General Conference on Weights and Measures.
Note: On 20th May 1875, 17 countries, Austria-Hungary, Argentina, Brazil, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Norway, the then Ottoman Empire, Portugal, Peru, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, the United States of America(USA) and Venezuela, signed the Metre Convention
Observance in India:
Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR)-National Physical Laboratory(NPL), organized and celebrated the World Metrology Day 2023 in association with Metrology Society of India (MSI).
- Pawan Aggarwal, Former Secretary, Ministry of Consumer Affairs and Former Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) graced the event as chief guest while Prof. Prabhat K Nema, Director, National Institute of Food Technology Entrepreneurship and Management(NIFTEM) joined as the Guest of honour.
i.During the event, 4 Bharatiya Nirdeshak Dravyas (BNDs®) namely, BND® 9002 for Atenolol, BND® 9003 for Atorvastatin Calcium, BND® 9004 for Paracetamol, and BND® 9005 for Trimethoprim were released.
ii.These BNDs are the Indian Certified Reference Materials jointly developed by CSIR-NPL, New Delhi & Pharmaffiliates Analytics & Synthetics (P) Ltd. Panhckula, Haryana.
iii.These BNDs are intended to be used as Reference Standards for the validation of methods for the characterization of measurands for Analysis.
About Bureau International des Poids et Mesures(BIPM)
BIPM is the home of the International System of Units (SI) and the international reference time scale (UTC).
Director– Dr Martin J.T. Milton
Headquarters– Paris, France
Established in 1875