The Rashtrapati Bhavan hosted the first time World Indology Conference in collaboration with Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) from November 21 to 23, 2015.
(Indology – Study of Indian history, literature, philosophy, and culture)
- This was a first of its kind event where around 21 eminent Indologists from across the world lived in Rashtrapati Bhavan including in the prestigious Guest Wing of Rashtrapati Bhavan which normally hosts visiting leaders from foreign countries.
ICCR Distinguished Indologist Award
This award was being instituted for the first time by ICCR. It has instituted to recognize eminent Indologists working abroad who have made outstanding contribution to the study, teaching, research in India’s philosophy, thought, history, art, culture, Indian languages, literature, civilization, society.
- This award includes US$ 20000 and a Citation.
- Award was presented by President Pranab Mukherjee to Prof. Heinrich Freiherr Von Stietencron from Germany.
About Prof. Stietencron
He has served as Director of Department of Indology and Comparative History of Religions at the University of Tuebingen for 25 years.
- He is well known as researcher, teacher, academician and epigrapher.
- Stietencron is also one of the founding members of Orissa Project which focuses on history and socio-cultural significance of Jagannath cult in Orissa.
- He has published 19 books and about 90 scientific research papers.
- In 2004 he was awarded with Padma Shri.
Detailed discussions on topics such as Indological Studies in Historical Perspective, Sanskrit Literature-Past and Present, Sanskrit Drama- Theory and Practice, Indian Philosophical Thought and Indian Art and Architecture were held over three days.
Idea behind World Indology Conference
The idea of Rashtrapati Bhavan hosting such a conference emerged during President Pranab Mukherjee visit to Russia from May 7 to 11, 2015. Following a meeting with leading Indologists in Moscow, President Mukherjee announced to host an international conference on Indology in Rashtrapati Bhavan.