Putting an end to all the speculations, Vijay Rupani is going to assume his office as the new Chief Minsiter of Gujarat on August 7 and Nithin Patel will assist him as a Deputy CM. This news is declared after the BJP MLAs meeting.
- Andhiben had received intense criticism for her handling of the protests demanding reservation for the powerful Patidar community.
- She has also been targeted over the protests by Dalit organisations in the aftermath of the beatings in Una.
- So, Anandiben Patel rendered her resignation to Governor OP Kohli after it was accepted by the Governor.
Vijay Rupani is an Indian politician from the Bharatiya Janata Party and a member of the Gujarat Legislative Assembly representing Rajkot West.
- Vijay Rupani is the state president of the BJP and was the minister for transport, water supply, labor and employment in previous CM Anandiben’s cabinet.
- On tracing his early career, he joined Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) and subsequently joined Jan Sangh in 1971 has been associated with Bharatiya Janta Party since its establishment.
- He was elected as a corporator in Rajkot in 1987 and also he served as the mayor of Rajkot from 1996 to 1997.
- He was a member of Rajya Sabha from 2006 to 2012. He served as the chairman of manifesto committee during Keshubhai Patel’s regime and also enjoyed unbridled support from Narendra Modi and served as BJP’s Gujarat unit general secretary and chairman of the Gujarat Finance Board during chief minister-ship of Narendra Modi.
- It is noted that in August 2014, when Vajubhai Vala, the incumbent speaker of Gujarat Legislative Assembly, resigned as the MLA from Rajkot West as he became the governor of Karnataka. Vijay Rupani was nominated by the BJP to contest his vacant seat. He won the bypoll on 19 October 2014 by a handsome margin.
- At last he was inducted as minister in the first cabinet expansion by Gujarat Chief Minister, Anandiben Patel and took charge of transport, water supply, labor and employment minister.
About Gujarat :
- Capital – Gandhinagar
- CM – Vijay Rupani (Yet to Swear-in)
- Governor – OP Kohli