On October 31, 2019 the union minister of Health and Family Welfare (HFW), Science and technology and earth science, Shri Harsh Vardhan released the 14th edition of the National Health Profile (NHP) 2019, and also its ebook (digital version) at an event in New Delhi. The health profile covers information on demographic, socio-economic health status, health finance indicators, health infrastructure and health of human resources in the country.
CBHI (Central Bureau of Health Intelligence) has been publishing the NHP since 2005 and its digital version since 2015.
- India’s expenditure on health: India spends only 1.28% of its gross domestic product(GDP) according to 2017-18 budget estimates as public expenditure on health.
- Population density: Delhi reported the highest population density with 11,320 people per square kilometre while the lowest was in Arunachal Pradesh with density of 17.
- Life Expectancy: Life expectancy in the country has increased from 49.7 years in 1970-75 to 68.7 years in 2012-16. The life expectancy for the same period in male and female are 67.4 and 70.2 years respectively. The birth rate as of 2017 was 20.2, growth rate was 6.3 and natural growth rate was 13.9 per population of 1000 each.
- IMR and TFR: The Infant Mortality Rate(IMR) has declined considerably (33 per 1,000 live births in 2016) while the Total Fertility Rate (TFR) for the country was 2.3.
- NCD diagnosis: 4.75% people of the 6.51 crore patients who attended NCD (Non-Communicable Diseases) clinics were diagnosed with diabetes while 6.19% were with hypertension, 0.3% with cardiovascular disease, only 0.26% were diagnosed with cancer.
- Economical activeness: As of 2016, 27% of the total estimated population were aged below 14 years and majority (64.7%) of the population were in the age group of 15-59 years(economically active).
- The number of disabled persons in the country are 2.68 crores.
About health ministry:
- Formed- 1976.
- Headquarters- New Delhi.
- Minister of State(MoS)- Ashwini Kumar Choubey.