The Union government gave approval for Gurdwaras Amendment Bill 2016 to provide the rights to Sahjhardi Sikhs to vote in the elections to Member of the Board and the committees.
Sikh Gurdwars (Amendment) Bill, 2016
Under Sikh Gurdwaras Act, 1925, every Sikh who is above 21 years of age can cast their vote in the Sikh Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee (SPGC) Election. This Act had created an exception for Sehjdhari Sikhs who trim or shave their beard or hair to vote in the elections.
Key Facts of the Bill:
- The Amendment allowed the Sahjdhari Sikhs to vote in the Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee (SGPC) elections
- Initially, Sahjdhari Sikhs should shave/trim their beard or hair are allowed to cast their vote
- Since 1944, the Sikhs were not allowed to vote in the SGPC elections
- The Union Ministry of Home Affairs’ (MHA) issued the notification dated October 2003 to made the amendment proposed
- In order to issue the Notification, Section 72 of the Punjab Re-Organisation Act, 1966 was initiated by the Union Government
- The amendment bill was initially approved in the Rajya Sabha and later passed in the Lok Sabha.
- The amendment bill, 2016 will come into effect retrospectively from October 8th, 2003
- Under the Sikh Gurdwara Act of 1925, every Sahjdhari Sikh above 21 years of age, can able to vote in the election
The Lok Sabha passed the Regional Centre for Biotechnology Bill, 2016
To establish a Regional Centre for Biotechnology, an study centre of Education, Training and Research under the sponsorship of United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO).
- To be set up in New Delhi
- Ministry: Science & Technology and Earth Sciences
- Minister: Dr. Harsh Vardhan
Achievements of Biotechnology expressed by Minister
- Manufacturing the vaccines at low for Hepatitis B Vaccine using Recombinant DNA methods
- Paved the roads in Generic drug Production
- Produce the vaccine for Rotavirus that will help to save millions of affected people
- Affordable generic drugs to treat Celiac, HIV, Dengue, Hepatitis C
- Generating drought and disease resistant crops that help in Agricultural activities
- Department of Biotechnology has proposed the National Biotechnology development Strategy-2015-2020