On May 5, 2021, SpaceX successfully completed the high-altitude ascent & landing of Starship Rocket Prototype ‘SN15’ for the 1st time. The rocket was launched from SpaceX launch site in Boca Chica, Texas, US.
- The rocket launched from Boca Chica reached its planned maximum altitude of 10 km (6 miles) and successfully landed back at the planned site.
- The previous test flights of Starship prototypes – SN8, SN9, SN10 & SN11 blasted off successfully but failed to make proper landing.
- SN15’s successful landing came on the 60th anniversary of the flight of Alan Shepard, 1st American in space.
- US Space Agency NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) has awarded a USD 2.9 Billion contract to SpaceX to take astronauts from lunar orbit to the surface of the moon. The contract is part of the Artemis program.
- The Starship rocket is SpaceX’s next-generation launch vehicle, it aims to make human space travel more affordable and routine.
- SpaceX has planned its 1st orbital Starship flight by the end of 2021.
Recent Related News:
i.February 10, 2021, SpaceX announced its plan for the World’s first all civilian mission to space, the mission is named Inspiration4 in recognition of the 4-person crew to support St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
CEO – Elon Musk
Headquarters – California, USA