Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched a new scheme under ‘Prime Minister’s Citizen Assistance and Relief in Emergency Situations Fund (PM CARES Fund)’ for children who affected in COVID-19. Children who have lost both parents or surviving parent or legal guardian/adoptive parents due to Covid 19 will be supported under ‘PM-CARES for Children’ scheme.They are
- Child will get a fund of Rs 10 lakh when they turn 23.
- Children under 10 years and Children between 11 to 18 years will be given admission to any Central Government schools or in private schools.
- The children can get loan for their higher education, and PM cares will pay interest.
- Free health insurance will be given to the children till 18 years.
Details of supportive measures:
i.Fixed Deposit :
An amount of Rs 10 lakh will be made as fixed deposit for each child when he or she reaches 18 years of age. This amount:
- Will issued as monthly financial support/ stipend from 18 years of age, for the next five years for his or her personal requirements.
- Once they attain age of 23 years, he or she will get the corpus amount as one lump-sum for personal and professional use.
ii.School Education: For children under 10 years
- Child under continue his/her education in nearest Kendriya Vidyalaya or in a private school as a day scholar.
- The expenditure on school fees, uniform, text books and notebooks will be provided from PM-CARES fund.
iii.School Education: for children between 11-18 years:
- The child will be given admission in any Central Government residential school such as Sainik School, Navodaya Vidyalaya etc.
- In case the child is to be continued under the care of Guardian/ grandparents/ extended family, then he or she will be given admission in the nearest Kendriya Vidyalaya or in a private school as a day scholar.
- If the child is admitted in a private school, the fees as per the RTE norms will be given from the PM CARES.
- PM CARES will also pay for expenditure on uniform, text books and notebooks.
iv.Support for Higher Education:
- The child can pursue the higher education for Professional courses / Higher Education using the existing Education Loan norms. The interest will be paid by the PM CARES.
- As an alternative, scholarship equivalent to the tuition fees / course fees for undergraduate/ vocational courses as per Government norms will be provided to such children under Central or State Government Schemes. For children who are not eligible under the existing scholarship schemes, PM CARES will provide an equivalent scholarship.
- All children will be enrolled as a beneficiary under Ayushman Bharat Scheme (PM-JAY) with a health insurance cover of Rs. 5 lakhs.
- The premium amount till the age of 18 years will be paid by PM CARES.
A public charitable trust under the name of ‘Prime Minister’s Citizen Assistance and Relief in Emergency Situations Fund (PM CARES Fund)’ has been set up in 2020 to provide financial assistance of any kind relating to a public health emergency, calamity or distress, either man-made or natural.
- Prime Minister is the ex-officio Chairman of the PM CARES Fund
- Minister of Defence, Minister of Home Affairs and Minister of Finance, Government of India are ex-officio Trustees of the Fund.
- Chairperson of the Board of Trustees (Prime Minister) shall have the power to nominate three trustees to the Board of Trustees who shall be eminent persons in the field of research, health, science, social work, law, public administration and philanthropy.