Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh inaugurates the second anti-drug Working Group meeting of Heads of Drug Control Agencies of BRICS countries in New Delhi.
- The meeting is being organized by the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB).
- In accordance with the ‘eThekwani Declaration‘ adopted during the BRICS summit in March 2013 at Durban, South Africa, it was decided to explore, besides economic issues, various new areas of cooperation among the member States, including drug related issues.
- In keeping with the spirit of the eThekwani Declaration, the first anti-drug working group meeting of BRICS countries was organized at Moscow, Russia in November, 2015.
- The delegates from the participating countries shall be deliberating over important drug related issues over the entire day.
- These delegates include Ambassadors of the respective countries, The Directors General of Border Guarding Forces and the Paramilitary are also likely to attend the inaugural session along with the heads of the Intelligence and Investigative Agencies.
- The Indian delegation shall be headed by Rajeev Rai Bhatnagar, Director General of the NCB and shall comprise of officers from the Department of Revenue, Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Ministry of Health and Family welfare and Narcotics Control Bureau, Ministry of Home Affairs.
- The meeting would also evaluate the drug abuse situation in the member countries and analyze the legislations of BRICS member states as well as devise modalities to share the best practices of enforcement and demand reduction being followed in the member countries.
♦ BRICS, an association of five major emerging economies comprising of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa, had started as a forum for future economic cooperation and for reforming Financial Institutions.
♦ The seventh BRICS summit was held in July, 2015 in Russia and India shall be hosting the eighth BRICS summit in October, 2016 in Goa.