Government of India, annually observes the 23th of March as Shaheed Diwas or Martyr’s day to honour the 3 young freedom fighters- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev Thapar, and Shivaram Rajguru. The 90th death anniversary of the 3 youngsters was observed on 21st March 2021.
Note- 30th January, the death anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi is also observed as Martyr’s day.
History of Shaheed Diwas:
i.Lala Lajpat Rai was assassinated during the lathi charge.
ii.As a revenge to his death, 3 youngsters, Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev Thapar, Shivaram Rajguru along with support from Chandrasekar Azad threw bombs over the Central Legislative Assembly on April 8, 1929.
iii.Charged with Murder crime, British government hanged the 3 freedom fighters on 23rd March 1931.
iv.During their hanging Bhagat Singh made the historic slogans “Inquilab Zindabad”, which later became the slogan of India’s armed struggle.
Some Famous Quotes by Bhagat Singh:
- “Revolution is an inalienable right of mankind. Freedom is an imperishable birthright of all.”
- “They may kill me, but they cannot kill my ideas. They can crush my body, but they will not be able to crush my spirit”
- “Philosophy is the outcome of human weakness or limitation of knowledge.”
- “If the deaf have to hear, the sound has to be very loud”
- “A rebellion is not a revolution. It may ultimately lead to that end.”