Saubhagya – Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana, one of the largest household electrification drives in the world, has completed 4 years of successful implementation.
As of March 2021, 2.82 crore households across India have been electrified under the SAUBHAGYA since its launch.
About Saubhagya – Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana:
Saubhagya – Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 25th September 2017, the birth centenary of Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyaya.
i.The Ministry of Power is the implementing authority of the scheme.
ii.Rural Electrification Corporation Limited (REC) is the Nodal Agency for the operationalization of the scheme throughout the country
- To achieve universal household electrification across India through last-mile connectivity
- To provide access to electricity to all un-electrified households in rural areas and poor households in urban areas.
The electricity connection provided through the scheme includes
- Providing electricity connection from the nearest pole to the household.
- installation of an energy meter
- wiring for a single light point with LED bulb, and a mobile charging point.
Under this scheme, subsidies on equipment like transformers, wires and meters will be provided.
i.The total outlay of the scheme is Rs 16320 crore while the Gross Budgetary Support (GBS) is Rs 12320 crore.
ii.For rural households the outlay is Rs 14025 crore while GBS is Rs 10587.50 crore.
iii.For urban households the outlay is Rs 2295 crore while GBS is RS 1732.50 crore.
i.Assam, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Manipur, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh which has around 18.85 lakh un-electrified households (before March 2019) were also covered under this scheme as of March 2021.
ii.Since the Saubhagya has achieved its objectives and is working on providing a 24×7 quality power supply, all the states are set to launch special campaigns to identify the left out unelectrified households and provide electricity connection.
iii.A dedicated toll-free number is also launched for this purpose.
Recent Related News:
Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (National Mission of Financial Inclusion) completed its 7th Anniversary on 15th August, 2021. It was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on February 28, 2014.
- As per government data, PMJDY now has 42.89 crore beneficiaries (basic bank account holders) with INR 1,43,834 crore total balance.
- More than 50% of them are women – 23.76 crore, while 28.57 crore belong to rural and semi city areas.
About Ministry of Power:
Union Minister– Raj Kumar Singh (Constituency- Arrah, Bihar)
Minister of State– Krishan Pal (Constituency- Faridabad, Haryana)