Nagaland Chief Minister Shurhozelie Liezietsu presented deficit in budget of Rs 1437.84 Crore for the Fiscal Year 2017-18 (FY-18) on March 28, 2017. He added that the total income (gross receipt) for the State government will be Rs 16657.26 crore and expenditure at Rs 16365.17 crore.
- Out of this Rs. 16365.17crore expenditure, Rs. 12644 crore (80%) is for non-developmental expenditure (Non plan expenditure) whiles the rest Rs. 3720 crore (20%) is for development expenditure (Plan expenditure).
- After deduction of the public accounts amounting to Rs 72.05 crore, the year was expected to end in a positive balance of Rs 220.04 crore.
Due to the presence of numerous Centrally Sponsored Schemes (CSS) and other Central Flagship schemes funded by the Central government, the state will have an improvement in its developmental sectors.
Centre and States Participation
- State Planning Board (SPB) has approved a sector allocation of developmental funds of 3720.51 crores, out of which the central sectors Centrally Sponsored Schemes (CSS) & Central Flagship Schemes account for Rs. 3070.51 crores
- Only about 17% of the total development outlay of 650 crores will be presented by state sector. Out of this State’s flexible fund 10% share of the central sector schemes have to be met.
- Out of this State flexible fund, the funds are provided for the priority state schemes such as LADP, VDB Grant-in-aid and UADP as well as for completion of ongoing works earlier undertaken under the state sector.
Focused area of budget
The main thrust area of Nagaland government in the new fiscal would be Education, Health and Water.
- The budget emphasized on the welfare of the poor and the rural population.
- Signing of the Framework Agreement by the Centre and National Socialist Council of Nagaland – Isak-Muivah (NSCN-IM) in August 2015 and the active interest shown by the Centre to take the Naga political issue to its logical and peaceful conclusion.
- Out of the total outlay 39% is on the social sector followed by rural development at 19% and at 13% for Agriculture and Allied sector.
State of Nagaland
- Nagaland is the Northeastern State of India that was formed on 1 December 1963 with 11 districts.
- The capital city of Nagaland is Kohima and largest of its city is Dimapur.
- The State is Chaired by Shürhozelie Liezietsu and governed by Padmanabha Acharya.
- The animal of this state is Gayal and its state bird is Blyth’s tragopan.
- Hornbill is the main festival and total population of the state is 99 million (1.04 million are males and 0.95 million females).