Professor David Shulman the renowned Indologist had been awarded the prestigious Israel Prize for his infiltrate studies in fields like religion and philosophy.
- Israel Prize is considered the country’s highest honour presented annually on Independence Day.
- Those who have displayed excellence in their fields, or have contributed strongly to Israeli culture or the State are the owner of the prize.
- He had made an important role to research management and teaching in Israeli universities.
About Israel Prize
- The Israel Prize is an award given out by the State of Israel regarded as the state’s highest honour.
- It is presented annually on Israeli Independence Day,
- The prize was set up in 1953 at the programme of theMinister of Education Ben-Zion Dinor.
The prize is awarded in the following four areas
- The humanities, social sciences, and Jewish studies
- The natural and exact sciences
- Culture, arts, communication and sports
- lifetime achievement and exceptional contribution to the nation
About Professor David Shulman
- David Dean Shulman was born on January 13, 1949 in Waterloo, Iowa.
- He is an Indologist and considered as one of the world’s leading authorities on the languages of India.
- His research including the history of religion in South India, Indian poetics, Tamil Islam, Dravidian linguistics, and Carnatic music.
- He was formerly the Professor of Indian Studies and Comparative Religion at The Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- He also works as professor in the Department of Indian, Iranian and Armenian
- He is also a member of theIsrael Academy of Sciences and Humanities since 1988.
- He won theIsrael Prize in 2016.
- Capital of Israel – Jerusalem
- Prime minister of Israel – Benjamin Netanyahu
- Currency of Israel – Israeli new shekel