Hello Aspirants. Welcome to Online Quantitative Aptitude Section with explanation in AffairsCloud.com. Here we are creating question sample in Pipes & Cistern, which is common for all competitive exams. We have included Some questions that are repeatedly asked in bank exams !!!
- Two pipes can fill a tank in 6hours and 8 hours .While a third pipe empties the full tank in 12hours.If all the three pipes are operate simultaneously, In how much time will the tank be filled ?
E)None of theseAnswer – B) 4hours 48min
1/6+1/8 – 1/12 =(4+3-2)/24 = 5/24
Time taken to fill the tank = 24/5 = 4hours 48min
- A tap can fill a tank in 6hrs.After half the tank is filled, three more similar taps are opened. What is the total time taken to fill the tank completely ?
B)3hrs 15 min
C)3hrs 45 min
E)None of theseAnswer -C) 3hrs 45 min
Time taken to fill the half tank = 6/2 = 3 hrs.—(1/2 part is filled)
Remaining part = ½
Time taken to fill the remaining part = [1/(4×1/6)] ×(1/2) = (3×1)/(2×2) = 3/4hrs
¾ hrs = 45 min
Total time = 3hrs+45 min = 3hrs 45min
- Two pipes can fill a tank in 8 hours and 10 hours .If two pipes are operate simultaneously, In how much time will the tank be filled ?
E)None of theseAnswer -A) 10hrs
1/(A+B) =1/8 + 1/10 = (10+8)/80 = 18/80 = 9/40
40/9=4hrs 18min to filled the tank
- Two pipes A and B can fill a tank in 20 minutes and 40 minutes.If both pipes are opened simultaneously , after how much time should B be closed so that the tank is full in 18 minutes ?
E)None of theseAnswer -5) None of these (4)
A fill the tank in 1 minute (20×2 = 40) = 2 units
B fill the tank in 1 minute (40×1 = 40) = 1units
For 18 min(A) = 18×2 = 36 units
Remaining = 40 – 36 = 4 units
Time for B be closed so that the tank is full in 18 minutes = 4/1 = 4 min
- A pump can fill the tank in 4 hours.Because of a leak in the tank i took 5(1/2) hours to fill the tank.If the tank is full,how much time will the leak take to empty it ?
E)None of theseAnswer – C)14hrs 40min
- Three taps P,Q and R can fill a tank in 10,20 and 30 hours respectively. If A is open all the time and Q and R are open for one hour each alternatively ,the tank will be fill in
B)7 hours 30min
D)7hours 20 min
E)None of theseAnswer – A) 7 hours
A+B in 1 hr =(1/10)+(1/20) = (2+1)/20 = 3/20
A+C in 1 hr =(1/10)+(1/30) = (3+1)/20 = 4/30
In 2 hr => (3/20)+(4/30) = (9+8)/60 = 17/60
Part filled in 6 hours =3×(17/60) = 17/20
Remaining part = 1-(17/20) =(20 – 17)/20= 3/20(filled by A and B)……1hour
Total time taken to fill the tank = 6+1 = 7 hours
- One pipe can fill a tank twice as fast as another pipe.If together the two pipes can fill the tank in 12 minutes, then the slower pipe alone will be able to fill the tank in
E)None of theseAnswer -C) 36 min
(3/x)= (1/12)=> (x/3) = 12
X = 36 min
- 10 buckets of water fill a tank , when the capacity of each bucket is 11.5 litres.How many buckets will be needed to fill the same tank, If the capacity of each bucket is 5 litres ?
E)None of theseAnswer -D) 23
Capacity of the tank = 10×11.5 = 115
Capacity of bucket = 5 litres
Number of buckets needed = 115/5 =23
- Two pipes fill the tank in 12min and 15min.There is also a waste pipe in the tank.When all the three are opened,the empty tank is full in 20 min.How long will the waste pipe take to empty the tank ?
E)None of theseAnswer -A) 10 min
(1/20) –((1/12)+(1/15)) = (1/20) – [(5+4)/60] = (3-9)/60 = -6/60
= -1/10= 10 min
- Two pipes can fill a tank in 4 hours and 12 hours .If two pipes are operate simultaneously, In how much time will the tank be filled ?
B)3 hrs 10min
E)None of theseAnswer – A) 3 hrs
(A+B) =1/4 + 1/12 = (3+1)/12 = 4/12 = 1/3
3 hrs to filled the tank