Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare had launched Project Sunrise on for prevention of AIDS in the 8 North-Eastern states. The funding of project is done by the Centre for Disease Control of the United States. First cases of HIV were diagnosed in 1986 among sex workers in Chennai.
- The objective of this AIDS prevention project is to diagnose 90 per cent of such drug addicts with HIV and put them under treatment by 2020.
- The project will create more awareness about the disease in these N-E states.
- This programme will be implemented in 20 districts of the eight states including four districts of Manipur- Imphal East, Bishnupur, Ukhrul and Churachandpur.
- The project will cover one lakh people suffering with HIV/AIDS the government will provide them treatment and care facilities free of cost.
- In addition with the existing projects of the National AIDS Control Organization (NACO) it will also be implemented in the North East
- NACO will unswervingly reassign its funding to State AIDS Control Societies as a substitute of the existing system for financial support through state governments.
Other AIDS Control programs in India
- set up State AIDS bodies in 25 states and 7 union territories in 1992
- India’s first National AIDS Control Programme NACP-I was launched in 1992
- National AIDS Control Organization (NACO) was put into operation
- The National AIDS Committee was formed in the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare – Jagat Prakash Nadda