President Pranab Mukherjee has implemented the Uttarakhand Appropriation (Vote on Account) Ordinance, 2016 which sanctions expenditure that has come under direct federal rule because of a political crisis.
- The decision in this regard has been taken at the Union cabinet meeting, which was chaired by Union home minister Rajnath Singh.
Uttarakhand is under President’s Rule and no budget could be passed earlier, therefore Cabinet had recommended an Appropriation Ordinance for Uttarakhand, in order to make a valid withdrawal of the government revenue.
- Now, in order to meet the state’s expenditure during 2016-17, the ordinance permitted the withdrawal of about Rs.13, 642.43 crore from and out of the Consolidated Fund of the state.
About President’s Rule:
President’s rule” refers to the imposition of Article 356 of the Constitution of India on a State whose constitutional machinery has failed. When a State government is not able to function as per the Constitution, the State comes under the direct control of the central government or President.
- Capital – Dehradun
- Earlier name – Uttaranchal
- Dehradun Nickname – School Capital of India
- Mussoorie Nickname – Queen of the Mountains
- Rishikesh nickname – City of Sages, Yoga City
- Former CM – Harish Rawat