On July 10, 2017, President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated the ‘Ashiana Annexe’ in Dehradun, Uttarakhand. At the inauguration function, MoU between M/s. Prashak Techno Enterprises and Central Building Research Institute was signed to collaborate for effective proliferation of Habitech-NivaraTantra Technology solutions.
More Information about ‘Ashiana Annexe’:
The ‘Ashiana Annexe’ comprises twelve low cost dwelling units constructed to accommodate officers and staff of Rashtrapati Bhavan during Presidential visits to the Retreat at Ashiana.
- These dwelling units have been constructed using the Habitech-NivaraTantra – Onsite Sanitation Integrated Community Housing Technology Innovations developed at the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT).
- The Technology innovations comprise unique blocks known as “compacted intermeshing” blocks which are made from local soil.
- Production of these blocks is on site and is an entirely green process. These blocks have novel cavities for horizontal and vertical reinforcement using steel bars which results in eliminating use of the conventional beams, columns and concrete lintel.
- The cavities act as natural air curtain against temperature, noise pollution and water penetration.
- Disaster resilient, sustainable and cost effectiveness are other salient features of these dwelling units.
- Scientific treatment of sanitation waste enables mitigation of disease risk and ensures health and wellbeing of residents and the community.
About ‘Rashtrapati Ashiana’:
‘Rashtrapati Ashiana’ situated on Rajpur Road of Dehradun comprises of the main building, Annexe, Upper Stables & Lines and Lower Stables & Lines with associated roads and pathways.
- It was built by British in 1920 as Commandant’s Bungalow.
- In 1975-76, the building was renovated and named Rashtrapati Ashiana to designate it as the President’s summer retreat.
- ‘Ashiana’ has been revived by the President Pranab Mukherjee after long years of disuse.
- Former President KR Narayanan was the last President who stayed there in March 1998.
- The main building of the renovated ‘Rashtrapati Ashiana’ was inaugurated by the President Pranab Mukherjee on September 27, 2016.