The Assembly Elections in the five states- Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Goa and Manipur were considered the first big test for the BJP after Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s demonetisation drive, which wiped out 86 per cent of currency from the nation’s economy.
- While the Narendra Modi led BJP got a majority win in Uttar Pradesh which is considered as one of India’s most electorally crucial states, and snatched Uttarakhand from Congress, it suffered a loss in Punjab where its alliance with SAD was voted out of power.
- While a close contest was seen between BJP and Congress in Goa and Manipur, the biggest highlights of these polls were the stunning defeat of the Congress and Samajwadi Party alliance engineered by Rahul Gandhi and Akhilesh Yadav.
- The BJP’s massive victory in Uttar Pradesh has been described as a “tsunami”. This victory would boost his chances of winning the 2019 general elections and underscore his popularity after he made himself the face of the party’s campaign in the state.
Review of the Assembly Election 2017
Uttar Pradesh Election Result 2017
Bhartiya Janta Party(BJP) emerged victorious in state election of Uttar Pradesh. Out of the 403 seats BJP won 325 seats which is much greater than the 202 seats required for majority.
- This is for the first time since 1980, that any party has crossed the mark of 300 seats in Uttar Pradesh. BJP is set to come in power after 14 years in Uttar Pradesh. BJP Uttar Pradesh President Keshav Prasad Maurya has a major role in this victory as he conducted many rallies across the state.
- After his defeat in the election Akhilesh Yadav has submitted his resignation to the Governor of Uttar Pradesh Shri. Ram Naik.
Uttarakhand Election Result 2017
The BJP performed far better than expected to win 57 of the 70 constituencies in Uttarakhand while reducing the ruling Congress to dismal 11 seats.
- Following the ruling Congress’ poor performance, chief minister Harish Rawat tendered his resignation from the Chief Minister’s post to Governor Krishna Kant Paul.
- Mr Rawat contested the poll from two constituencies, Hardwar Rural and Kiccha, but failed to win either. A party needs 36 seats to form government in the state.
- With the BJP’s victory, Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi congratulated Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Punjab Election Result 2017
Punjab has given another chance to Congress under Captain Amrinder Singh to form government after a gap of a decade, taking away the power from ruling SAD-BJP combine government.
- Congress’ candidates have won in 77 seats in the 117 member Punjab Assembly to get a majority win.
- Prominent among them is Navjot Singh Sidhu, who quit the BJP to join the Congress before the elections and contested from Amritsar East. He credited his victory to Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi.
- The Arvind Kejriwal-led AAP, managed to bag just 22 seats, but scored better than the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD)-Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) alliance, which has won only 18 seats.
Manipur Election Result 2017 :
Though none of the political parties managed to reach the majority mark of 31 for securing majority win in Manipur assembly polls, Congress and BJP were racing neck and neck.
- Congress secured 28 seats, the BJP won 21 seats in the north-eastern state.
- Manipur chief minister Okram Ibobi Singh of the Congress party won in Thoubal constituency. He has defeated BJP’s Leitanthem Basanta Singh and rights activist and PRJA chief Irom Sharmila,who debuted as a political leader this Assembly polls.
- Irom Sharmila recieved less than 100 vote, and finally decides to quit politics
Goa Election Result 2017
In the past five years, BJP had a stable government in Goa. But with the assembly election results on March 11, 2017, CM Laxmikant Parsekar of BJP suffered a loss in Mandrem constituency of North Goa by around 3,500 votes from Congress candidate Dayanand Sopte.
- Congress emerged as the single largest party in Goa. It won 17 seats in 40 member Goa assembly. Though less than the majority vote to make government.
- Besides, Goa Deputy Chief Minister Francis D’Souza (BJP) defeated his nearest rival Vinod Phadke of the MGP in Mapusa constituency D’Souza won by a margin of 6,806 votes against Phadke.
- Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar submitted his resignation to Governor Mridula Sinha after his party finished much behind the majority needed to form the government.
- Debutant AAP could not manage to win a single seat