Noted flutist Pandit Hari Prasad Chourasia was awarded the 2016 Sumitra Charat Ram Award for lifetime achievement in the field of Indian classical music at Shriram Bhartiya Kala Kendra in the presence of Chairman of Sangeet Natak Akademi, Shekhar Sen on November 17, 2016.
- Pt Hari Prasad Chourasia was presented the prestigious award by Najeeb Jung, the Lieutenant Governor of Delhi. The award carries a purse, citation, shawl and a silver plaque.The award presentation was followed by a classical flute recital by 78-year-old artist.
Sumitra Charat Ram Award
The Sumitra Charat Ram Award, is given to those individuals who have shown greater contribution in the field of Indian Classical Dance and Music or other disciplines of Indian Art and Culture including theatre during the last 15 years and who had a significant impact in promoting a particular art form.The prize is named after Sumitra Charat Ram.
- She belonged to the illustrious Shri Ram family, who played a key role in the revival of the performing arts traditions, specially kathak and Hindustani music in north India.
- She was also the founder of Shiram Bharatiya Kala Kendra.
Shiram Bharatiya Kala Kendra
Shriram Bharatiya Kala Kendra, founded in the year 1952, is an Indian cultural institution which is one of the country’s premier institutions for music, dance and performing arts in New Delhi.
- Shriram Bharatiya Kala Kendra instituted the award to create a benchmark that custodians of Indian cultural forms will value, carrying forward the global trends and legacies that have taken birth in India
- Shriram Bharatiya Kala Kendras Director and Vice Chairperson: Shobha Deepak Singh.
- The previous recipients of the award include Pandit Birju Maharaj (kathak), Kishori Amonkar (Hindustani vocal), Mayadhar Raut (Odissi), Pandit Jasraj (Hindustani vocal) and Kumudini Lakhia (kathak).
About Pt Hari Prasad Chourasia :
Chaurasia was born on July 1, 1938 in Allahabad to a wrestler father.He started learning vocal music from his neighbour, Pandit Rajaram, at the age of 15 and later took up the flute under the mentorship of Bholanath Prasanna of Varanasi for the next eight years.
- He was also the receipent of Padma Bhushan and Padma Vibhushan award and has also worked as a music director for Indian films, besides collaborating with several international musicians.
- He joined the All India Radio, Cuttack, Odisha in 1957 and worked as a composer and performer.Later he received guidance from the reclusive Annapurna Devi, daughter of Baba Allaudin Khan.