On 3rd February 2019, Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi visited Jammu and Kashmir where he inaugurated various developmental projects in the area of health, education and infrastructure. The details of his visit are as follows:
P.M Narendra Modi’s Visit to Leh
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi visited Leh in Ladakh in the first leg of his one day visit to Jammu and Kashmir and inaugurated multiple projects.
PM Modi inaugurates first-ever university in Ladakh
PM Shri Narendra Modi launched the University of Ladakh which is the first-ever cluster university in the Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir. The university will have administrative offices in Leh and Kargil.
- The establishment of the first university in the Ladakh region was approved by the Jammu and Kashmir administration on December 15 under the University of Ladakh Act 2018.
- The newly established university will act as a cluster university comprising degree colleges of Leh, Kargil, Nubra, Zanskar, Drass and Khaltsi region.
- Overall the Jammu region consists of four universities and also has an IIT and an IIMC whereas the Kashmir Valley consists of three universities and a National Institute of Technology (NIT).
Lays Foundation stone of the new terminal building of KBR Airport in Leh
On 3rd February 2019, during his visit to Leh, Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of the new terminal building of Kushok Bakula Rimpochee (KBR) Airport.
- The new terminal building is expected to provide seamless passenger movement with all modern amenities.
- The terminal will be built at the cost of Rs. 480 crore in the area of 18,985 sq.m and will be featured with modular, energy efficient and self-sustaining building.
- Besides the PM also opened five new tourists and trekking routes in Ladakh which will result in more tourist flow and will offer better livelihood opportunities to many villages in the region.
- In order to enable tourists enjoy their journey to Leh for a longer time, the PM also announced the increase in Protected Area Permit’s validity to 15 days.
P.M Narendra Modi’s Visit to Srinagar
On 3rd February 2019, PM Shri Narendra Modi visited Srinagar and launched multiple developmental projects. The details of his visit are described below.
Development projects worth Rs. 6000 crores unveiled in Srinagar
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi laid foundation stones of various development projects worth Rs 6,000 crore in the field of health, education, environment and infrastructure.
- The PM laid the foundation stone of a new AIIMS which will be built at the cost of Rs 1828 crore at Awantipora in Pulwama. The new AIIMS will cover the area of 207 acres.
- In future the new AIIMS would be linked with the Ayushman Bharat scheme through which around 30 lakh people from Jammu Kashmir would be benefited.
- In-order to enhance employment opportunities for the youth in Bandipora and neighbouring districts, PM also inaugurated the first rural BPO at Bandipora. The rural BPO facility was built at the cost of Rs.3 crore.
- Besides PM also inaugurated Multipurpose Indoor Sports Facility at Sephora, Ganderbal which will allow the local youths to play indoor games.
- Furthermore the foundation stone for the construction of Transit accommodation for Kashmiri migrant employees in Kashmir valley was also laid by PM. The project will be completed at the cost of Rs 920 Crores.
- Foundation stone for the construction of multiple Modal degree colleges and Entrepreneurship, Innovation & Career Hubswere also laid under the Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA) by PM.
- PM also dedicated to nation University Institute of Engineering & Technology, Kathua.
P.M Narendra Modi’s Visit to Jammu
On 3rd February 2019, PM Shri Narendra Modi visited Jammu and launched multiple developmental projects in the field of electricity transmission, education and health.
Foundation stone of the new AIIMS at Vijaipur,Samba in Jammu laid by PM
In Jammu Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of an AIIMS at Vijaypur, Samba.
- The setting up of the new AIIMS is expected to provide quality healthcare to the people besides addressing the shortfall of healthcare professionals in the region.
- Besides the PM also announced that the state medical colleges would soon add another 500 seats in the medical education field.
624 MW Kiru Hydroelectric project and 850 Megawatt Ratle Hydro Electric project in Kishtwar inaugurated
In Kishtwar, Jammu, the PM Shri Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of 624 MW Kiru Hydroelectric project and 850 Megawatt Ratle Hydro Electric project.
- The 624 MW, Kiru Hydroelectric project which will be built on the River Chenab will generate 2272 Million Units of electricity annually.
- In addition to this a 400 KV D/C Jalandhar-Samba-Rajouri-Shopian-Amargarh (Sopore) transmission power line which will improve the grid connectivity in Jammu & Kashmir was also dedicated to the nation by the PM.
- Besides the PM also declared 100% electrification of households in the State under Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana (SAUBHAGYA Scheme).
PM inaugurated 220 kV Srinagar- Alusteng – Drass- Kargil – Leh Transmission Line
On 3rd February 2019, PM Shri Narendra Modi dedicated to the nation the 220 kV Srinagar- Alusteng – Drass- Kargil – Leh Transmission System, the project that has connected Ladakh now to the National Grid.
- The 335 km long transmission line will provide quality power supply to Ladakh region of Jammu & Kashmir round the year and will also boost the tourism sector besides enhancing the socio-economic development of Ladakh.
- The Power Grid Corporation of India Limited (POWERGRID), a Navratna Company has completed the project at the cost of Rs. 2266 crore (95% Govt. of India share and 5% J&K state share) within 4.5 years.
- The completion of the project will also help to protect the beautiful environment of Ladakh region since it will minimize the massive use of diesel generating sets during winters.
- The project consists of four new State-of-the-Art 220/66 kV Gas Insulated Sub-stations built at Drass, Kargil, Khaltsi and Leh at a height of around 3000-4000 meters.
- The project is built under the Prime Minister’s Reconstruction Plan (PMRP), a flagship scheme of the Union Government which was aimed to improve reliability & quality of power supply in Ladakh region of J&K by connecting with National Grid.
- The event of inauguration was attended by Shri Satya Pal Malik, Hon’ble Governor, J&K and Dr. Jitendra Singh, Union Minister of State (IC) for Development of North Eastern Region.
About Jammu & Kashmir:
♦ Capitals: Jammu (winter), Srinagar (summer)
♦ Governor: Shri Satya Pal Malik