External Affairs Minister(EAM) of India Dr. Subrahmanyam Jaishankar has paid a visit to two nations Russia and Hungary from August 25-28, 2019 to review bilateral relations.
External Affairs Minister Jaishankar’s visit to Hungary(August 25-27,2019)
EAM Dr. S. Jaishankar arrived in Budapest airport on a 2 day- visit to Hungary, where he was received by Kumar Tuhin , Ambassador of India to the Republic of Hungary, and senior officials from the Hungarian side including Ms. Edina Pasztor, Chief of Protocol and Dr. Norbert Revai-Bere DG.
Jaishankar holds ‘productive’ meeting with Hungarian counterpart
EAM Jaishankar held talks with Foreign Minister of Hungary Peter Szijjarto followed by delegation-level talks, where bilateral and multilateral issues were discussed in Budapest, Hungary.
- Jaishankar, at the invitation extended by Szijjarto, attended the Hungarian Ambassadors’ Conference. The two leaders also inked a cultural exchange programme between the two countries.
- He stated that India is looking forward to developing ties with Hungary and Visegrad Group & will work closely on bilateral cooperation and in the multilateral arena. The Visegrad Group is a cultural and political alliance of 4 Central European states includes, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, and Slovakia, that are members of the European Union (EU) and NATO(North Atlantic Treaty Organization).
- Jaishankar had also inaugurated a photo exhibition on Hungary-India relations at the Indian Embassy situated in Budapest, celebrating the 70th anniversary of both nations’ diplomatic relations.
Jaishankar meets Hungary deputy PM Mihaly Varga:
EAM Jaishankar further exchanges his views on the bilateral economic relations and cooperation with the Mihaly Varga, the Hungarian finance minister and deputy prime minister(PM).
External Affairs Minister Jaishankar’s visit to Russia(August 27-28,2019):
EAM Dr. S. Jaishankar arrived in Moscow, Russia for a two-day visit from August 27-28,2019. This was Jaishankar’s first visit to Russia since he assumed office on June 2019.
His visit comes days ahead of the 5th Annual Eastern Economic Forum as well as the 20th Annual Bilateral Summit between the two countries in Vladivostok, Russia from September 4 – 6,2019, where Prime Minister Modi will be the chief guest.
EAM participates in Valdai Discussion Club interaction on the theme of India’s perspective of the Indo-Pacific
External Affairs Minister Jaishankar participated in Valdai Discussion Club, a Moscow-based think tank and discussion forum with the theme of India’s perspective of the Indo-Pacific.
He stated that the changing world had thrown up new concepts and approaches and the Indo-Pacific was one of them, which is India’s lifeline and also the highway for trade and prosperity.
Jaishankar hold talks with his Russian counterpart Sergey Lavrov
- EAM Jaishankar mee his Russian counterpart Sergey Lavrov &they discussed regional and international issues of mutual interest including the developments pertaining to the situation in the Persian Gulf region and Afghanistan.
- They further advance bilateral cooperation and prepare grounds for Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s upcoming three-day visit to Vladivostok in the wake of Fifth Eastern Economic Forum (EEF) as a chief guest.
- The talks between 2 leaders also focused on a number of specific issues, including the necessity to intensify work on the creation of an international transport corridor North-South in the Russia-India-Iran format.
Jaishankar unveils Mahatma Gandhi’s Statue at Indian Embassy in Moscow
EAM Jaishankar has unveiled a statue of Mahatma Gandhi at the premises of the Indian embassy in Moscow, Russia on the occasion of Gandhi’s 150th birth anniversary.
i.Gandhi was inspired by Leo Tolstoy, Russian writer-philosopher. The two leaders never met personally in their life-line, but both shared a special bond and exchanged ideas through letters.
Currency: Hungarian forint
Currency: Russian ruble
President: Vladimir Putin