The External Affairs Minister (EAM) of India Dr S Jaishankar made an official visit to Poland and Belgium.
Visit to Poland (August 28- 29, 2019)
EAM Dr S Jaishankar paid an official visit to Poland from August 28- 29, 2019 on the invitation of the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Poland Mr Jacek Czaputowicz (FM). He was received by Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki.
- It is the first visit of an Indian EAM to Poland since 1987.
- The visit took place in the backdrop of the 65th anniversary of establishing bilateral relations between Poland and India.
Launch of direct flight services
- EAM officially launched a direct flight services between Warsaw, and New Delhi operated by LOT Polish Airlines, scheduled for September 2019.
- Deputy Foreign Minister of Poland Marcin Przydacz had travelled on the inaugural flight from Warsaw to Delhi on September 12, 2019.
- EAM expressed India’s desire to engage with Poland in the Visegrad format.
- The Polish side welcomed the invitation to President Andrzej Duda extended by the President of the Republic of India, Mr Ram Nath Kovind.
- FM Prof. Czaputowicz expressed the commitment of Poland to support global efforts to combat terrorism in all its forms.
- The Polish side appreciated India’s support for the candidature of Poland for non-permanent seat at the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) for the years 2018-2019 and expressed support for India’s candidature for non-permanent seat for the years 2021-22.
- EAM met FM Prof. Czaputowicz and held talks with him in the fields of political cooperation, economy, education and culture.
- He also held talks with the Prime Minister of Poland Mateusz Morawiecki and Deputy PM of Poland Piotr Gliński.
Visit to Belgium (August 29- 30, 2019)
On August 29, 2019, EAM Dr S Jaishankar arrived in Belgium after the completion of his three-nation tour to Russia, Hungary and Poland.
Discussion on India-EU Strategic Partnership
EAM met David Maria Sassoli, President of European Parliament, along with other leaders and discussed on the India-European Union (EU) Strategic Partnership on regional, global and multilateral issues in Brussels.
- EAM met his Belgian counterpart Didier Reynders and discussed issues of mutual interests.
- He met the European Union (EU) Commissioner Christos Stylianides and held talks with him.
- He also held talks with EU’s Foreign Policy chief Federica Mogherini.
♦ Capital: Warsaw
♦ Currency: Polish złoty
♦ Capital: Brussels
♦ Currency: Euro