Abdullah Shahid, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Maldives, who is also The President-Elect of the 76th United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) (PGA-Elect) visited New Delhi from July 22-24, 2021. He visited India at the invitation of Dr. S Jaishankar, External Affairs Minister (EAM) of India.
- India is the 1st country that Abdulla Shahid is visiting after being elected as PGA-Elect on 7th June 2021.
- During the visit, he met Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi & EAM Jaishankar.
- Shahid has released a vision statement for his presidency term called ‘Presidency of Hope: COVID Pandemic and Need for Reformed Multilateralism’ with 5 priority themes – recovering from Covid-19, rebuilding sustainably, responding to the planet’s needs, respecting the rights of all, and reforming the UN.
India, Maldives sign agreement for Community Projects
EAM Jaishankar and Abdulla Shahid signed an agreement on India-funded High Impact Community Development projects in Maldives.
- At present, India is developing projects worth USD 2 billion covering a large number of areas like ports, roads, bridges, water and sanitation systems as well as socio-economic development.
- Maldives is one of India’s key maritime partners in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR). It is also integral to India’s Neighbourhood First policy and vision of SAGAR.
Meeting with PM Modi
Abdullah Shahid met with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- The PM assured Shahid of India’s full support and cooperation during the Presidency term.
- The rapid growth in the India-Maldives bilateral relationship was also discussed during the meeting.
Recent Related News:
November 12, 2020, India’s Foreign Secretary (FS) Harsh Vardhan Shringla concluded a Two-day visit to Maldives on November 9-10, 2020
President– Ibrahim Mohamed Solih
Currency– Maldivian Rufiyaa
About United Nations General Assembly (UNGA)
President (of 75th Session) – Volkan Bozkir
Headquarters – New York, USA