On January 09, 2020 National Crime Record Bureau’s (NCRB) report on Crime in India for the year 2018 was released. The report finds that over 50 lakh crimes have been registered in 2018 which is 1.3% more than that of 2017. The report findings in detail are as follows:National Crime Record Bureau’s (NCRB) report 2018:
UP tops economic offence:
The report stated that Uttar Pradesh(UP) accounted for the maximum number of economic offences in 2018 with 22,822 cases recorded.
- It was followed by Rajasthan (21,309 cases), Maharashtra (14,854 cases), Telangana (10,390 cases) and Bihar (9,209 cases) in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th rank respectively.
- Economic offence cases: Forgery, cheating and fraud accounted for maximum of economic offence cases, with 1,34,546 cases, followed by criminal breach of trust (20,456 cases) and counterfeiting (1,266 cases)
- 2017 data: In the year 2017, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh accounted for the highest share of reported economic offences.
- Nationwide economic offence: Countrywide, 1,56,268 cases of economic offences were recorded in 2018. This is higher than 143,524 such cases reported in 2017.
i.Crimes in 2018: Totally 50,74,634 cognizable crimes were committed in 2018. It included 31,32,954 Indian Penal Code (IPC) crimes and 19,41,680 Special and Local Laws (SLL) crimes.
- IPC crimes: crimes under IPC have increased by 2.3% and stood at 61.7% in 2018.
- SLL crimes: Crimes under SLL have declined by 0.1% compared to 2017 and stood at 38.3% in 2018.
ii.Despite increase in crime case registration of 1.3%, the crime rate per lakh population has come down to 383.5 in 2018 from 388.6 in 2017.
iii.Human body affecting offence: A total of 10,40,046 cases of offences affecting the human body were registered. This accounted for 33.2% of total IPC crimes in 2018.
iv.Death causing crimes: 51% of the crime cases lead to death by negligence 1,44,031 cases), Kidnapping and Abduction (1,05,734 cases) accounting for 13.8% and 10.2%respectively.
v.Murder cases: A total of 29,017 cases of murder were registered during 2018, which increased by 1.3% over 2017.
vi.Cases against women: The crime rate per lakh women population is 58.8 in 2018 in comparison with 57.9 in 2017.
- Out of the total IPC crimes, the crimes against women under ‘cruelty by husband or his relatives’ (31.9%), followed by ‘Assault on women with intent to outrage her modesty’ (27.6%), ‘kidnapping and abduction of women’ (22.5%) and ‘Rape’ (10.3 %).
vii.Crime against children: The crime rate per lakh children population is 31.8 in 2018 in comparison with 28.9 in 2017.
- Kidnapping and abduction in children in 2018 were 44.2% and cases under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act, 2012 were 34.7% that also included child rape.
- Missing report: A total of 67,134 children were reported missing in 2018.
About National Crime Record Bureau(NCRB):
Founded- 11 March 1986.
Headquarters- New Delhi.
Motto- Empowering Indian Police with Information Technology
Director- Ramphal Pawar, IPS (Indian Police Service).