The North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) launched the Joint Multinational Military Exercise ‘DEFENDER-Europe 21’ in the port of Durres in Albania, the exercise began on April 26, 2021 and will go on till June 10, 2021.
- ‘DEFENDER-Europe 21’ is led by the United States (US). It is an annual exercise held between US and NATO Countries to build readiness and interoperability.
- Around 28, 000 US & NATO forces from 26 nations participated in the drills.
- It is the 1st such large-scale drills since World War-II in the Western Balkans region (Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, North Macedonia, and Romania and others).
- The drills were conducted simultaneously across more than 30 training areas in 12 countries from Baltics and Africa to Black Sea and Balkan regions.
- It is a defensive exercise and is focused on responding to crisis.
North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO):
i.It is an Intergovernmental Military Alliance between 30 European and North American countries.
ii.It is based on the North Atlantic Treaty which was signed on 4 April, 1949.
iii.The member countries agree to mutual defence in response to an attack by an external party.
Recent Related News:
i.April 13, 2021, Indian Army participated in the Multinational Military Exercise ‘Shantir Ogroshena 2021’ (Front Runner of Peace) held at Bangabandhu Senanibas (BBS), Bangladesh from April 4-12, 2021. It is an UN-mandated Counterterrorism exercise.
About North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO):
Secretary General – Jens Stoltenberg
Headquarters – Brussels, Belgium