The most prestigious Prince Mahidol Awards has been awarded to Professor Morton M Mower and Sir Michael Gideon Marmot.Morton M Mower is from the United States and he did his best in the field of medicine, while Sir Michael Gideon Marmot from Britain gives his best in the field of public health.
About Prince Mahidol Award
- The Mahidol award was first given by the King Rama IX Bhumibol Adulyadej in 1992 on the occasion of the 100th birth Anniversary of Prince Mahidol the father of Rama.
- The award is yearly awarded by the Royal Family of Thailand.
- The Mahidol award consists of a medal, a certificate and prize money of US 100,000 dollars.
- The award function is organized for the outstanding achievements in medicine and public health worldwide.
About Morton Mower Invention
- Mower invented the Automatic Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (AICD) and the Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy (CRT) device. The device helps to monitor heart rate and rhythm and it delivers electrical current during the abnormal heart rate.
- AICD device is reducing the death rate of patients with cardiac arrhythmia and helps to improve the quality of life for survivors.
About Michael Gideon Marmot Invention
Marmot is awarded in the field of public health for the use of Social Determinants of Health (SDH) to control the action of diseases, builds human ability to fights against diseases and also helps in the prevention disease. The SDH covers the conditions in which people are born, grow, work and live.