Wishing you all a very happy and prosperous Independence Day. Independence Day, is annually observed on 15 August as a national holiday in India commemorating the nation’s independence from the British Empire on 15 August 1947. Here are few points to remember and some events to note down on the eve of the 70th Independence day of India.
Tiranga March by Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan
- Marking the Independence Day, Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan organized a candle-light “TIRANGA MARCH” in 100 prominent District Headquarters of several States/ UTs.
- The Department of Youth Affairs will organize a candle-light “Tiranga March” in 100 prominent District Headquarters to celebrate the 70th Indian Independence Day. The members of youth clubs affiliated with NYKS as well as other youth will participate in the Programmes.
- In each Programme, participation of about 1,000 youth is expected and this march will end at a venue where a cultural programme on the theme of Tiranga and Nationalism will be organized. This move will witness 40 to 50 large size National Flags being carried besides a large number of small flags. There will be chanting of nationalistic slogans and singing of patriotic songs.
Colors of Independence – An Innovative Initiative of JCI
A week-long “Colors of Independence” campaign has been launched by the Jute Corporation of India – JCI marking the 70th Independence Day of India.
- In a step towards promoting national integration and jute awareness, this campaign will provide an opportunity for general public to participate, from 70 Indian cities to celebrate 70 years of Independence.
- This campaign is being organized by the Union Ministry of Textiles and all the paintings will be sent to the Ministry after August 15. This campaign is intended to invoke the spirit of independence and to make the present generation aware of the freedom struggle.
Goa celebrates Independence Day with Patolleo – an Indigenous Sweet Dish
“Our Lady of Assumption Church” of the Succoro village, near Panaji in Bardez Taluka celebrated ‘Patolleanchem Fest’, a unique salute to the jaggery-based sweet dish called “Patolleo” on the eve of the Indolence Day of India.
- Goa Tourism department has been encouraging this alcohol-free event as a tourist attraction and says the festival is a must visit for all visitors. Goa is the most colorful and vibrant state celebrates this unique festival paying tribute to the dish Patolleo, a Goan sweet made of jaggery and rice is wrapped in a turmeric leaf.
- Traditionally, the festival is celebrated by preparing and distributing the Patolleos among villagers. Visitors are then treated to fabulous Goan fare and various performances by the locals and artistes. Guests are also given a share of the homemade Patolleo’s that are traditionally distributed on this day.
- This festival provides an opportunity for local artists to display their talent. The main slogan of this fest is ‘no prizes, no sponsors, no plastics and no alcohol.’
Union Minister launches M Venkaiah Naidu lauched the Special Version Webpage on the mark of 70th Indian Independence Day
I&B Minister Shri M Venkaiah Naidu have launched a special web page on the occasion of Independence Day, 2016. This webpage is developed by Press Information Bureau and the page is also accessed from PIB’s home page.
- The webpage showcases hundreds of archival photographs, audio and video clips, write-ups and features on leaders and events related to the freedom struggle. The webpage will host live webcast of Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s Independence Day Speech from the Red Fort and will also host other speeches delivered by the Prime Minister at events related to these celebrations.
- It is noted that several organizations have contributed to the rich content being showcased on the webpage. These include All India Radio, Doordarshan, Photo Division, Films Division, Directorate of Public Relations of Ministry of Defense and Directorate of Advertising and Visual Publicity.
Independence Day Celebs on Wheels – Goa Tourism organizes Freedom Ride
Goa Tourism presents an exclusive bike rally called ‘Freedom Ride’, which held on 15 August 2016. The Rally will be very enjoyable and give bikers an experience of Goa while exploring its treasures packed with churches, rivers, beaches, temples, villages and much more.
- The experience will be very exclusive as it is not a race but just an adventure filled ride and the most interesting aspect is the Quiz Competition that would be held pre-lunch making the trip more exciting.
- Only two riders per bike will be permitted. The charges include 800 per person for advance bookings and Rs. 1000 for spot bookings.
- The route map will be shared with the participants on the day of the rally and well known historian Sanjeev Sardesai will guide the bikers and give insights into Goa’s history, culture and traditions during the rally.
Independence Day Film Festival unveiled by M Venkaiah Naidu in New Delhi
Union Urban Development Minister, M Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated the Independence Day Film Festival in Delhi’s Siri Fort Auditorium.
- The festival commenced today and conclude on Aug 18 and twenty films will be screened during the seven-day period.
- The festival kick-start with Richard Attenboroughs Gandhi and famous movies like ‘Sardar’ and a Tamil movie ‘Veerapandiyan Kottabomman’ which depicted the lives of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel and an 18th century warrior, Veerapandiyan Kottabomman as capable of inspiring in the people an interest in the history of freedom fighters.
- I&B Ministry has been roped in to play patriotic songs for the next three days on All India Radio (AIR) and also to air archived audio and video speeches of freedom fighters in short movies on Doordarshan (DD).
M Venkaiah Naidu Unveils Tiranga Yatra – Indian Independence Day Theme Song
On the eve of 70th Indian Independence Day, Information & Broadcasting Minister M Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated an Independence Day Film Festival besides launching Festival of Independence theme song “Tiranga Yatra” at separate functions.
- It is noted thatIndian Cinema not only played a vital role during the freedom movement, but also facilitated in spreading the message regarding the great deeds and velour of eminent leaders and personalities of the movement.
- The songcaptures the patriotic fever and showcases the diversity in the country. The idea of India was being reinforced through the song and it aims to promote brotherhood and the feeling of oneness among all the citizens.
Bharat Parv – Promotion of Rich Cultural Bio diversity on the eve of Independence Day
As part of Independent Day celebrations, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar inaugurated ‘Bharat Parv’ festival at India Gate lawns and the inauguration ceremony of the festival, which will conclude on August 18, is also attended by Union Ministers M Venkaiah Naidu and Mahesh Sharma.
- The Ministry of Tourism has been designated as the nodal Ministry for the event, the highlights of which will include Performances by the Armed Forces Bands, a Multi-Cuisine Food Court, Crafts Mela, Cultural Performances from different regions of the country including Delhi-based cultural organizations and associations of various states and a Photo Exhibition by the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting.
- The prime objective of organizing the event is to generate a patriotic mood, promote the rich cultural diversity of the country and to ensure wider participation of the general public.
- There will be 17 theme state pavilions where each state would showcase their achievements and initiatives, tourism products and destinations.
Indian Govt launches a commemorative postage stamp on Tourism
A commemorative postage stamp on Tourism in Indiaon the occasion of 70th Independence Day has been released by the Minister of State for Railways Manoj Sinha.
- The theme tourism was selected on account of tourism sector being an economically important and rapidly growing industry.
- It is noted that Indiantourism is fast emerging, as one of the majors sectors of the economy and generating huge employment opportunity across the country.
70th Independence day gallantry Awards goes to 948 police personals throughout India
On the occasion of the 70th Indian Independence Day, a total of 948 central and state forces police personnel were awarded gallantry and other service medals.
- The top honor of Presidents Police Medal for Gallantry (PPMG) has been given to three Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) personnel for thwarting terrorist attacks at Indian Consulates at Mazar-e-Sharif and Jalalabad in Afghanistan early in 2016.
- President’s Police Medal for Gallantry have been awarded to 07 personnel, Police Medal for Gallantry to 170 personnel, President’s Police Medal for Distinguished Service to 88 personnel and Police Medal for Meritorious Service to 683 personnel.
- It is noted that 19 personnel have also been awarded including President’s Correctional Service Medal for Distinguished Service to two personnel and Correctional Service Medal for Meritorious Service to 17 personnel.
Havildar Hangpan Dada honored with Ashok Chakra posthumously
Havildar Hangpan Dada was honored posthumously, with the government announcing the highest award to an army man during peace-time operations on the eve of the Independence Day.
- Havildar Hangpan Dada was a Nocte tribal born in Borduria village of Arunanchal Pradesh. Dada, as he was fondly called, was recruited to the 3rd Battalion of the Parachute Regiment on 28 Oct 1997. Six years later, Dada was transferred to the Assam Regimental Centre and on 24 Jan 2008 he was taken on the strength of 4th Battalion, The Assam Regiment where he served the most. Dada’s personality had many shades. Two traits that were forever to the fore were fearlessness and righteousness.
- From leading a patrol to leading a church service at the post, Dada always led from the front. During testing times, when threat of militants would loom large on his patrol negotiating steep slopes with knee deep snow, Dada would silently slip into the role of scout and lead the entire patrol safely back to the base. Dada didn’t stop playing with snakes, even after he had to be evacuated in a helicopter after being bitten not once but twice by one. Dada also had the courage of conviction of calling a spade a spade; though inevitably voicing politely what he thought was right.
- Behind his trademark smile was a resolve tougher than steel and an unflinching attitude which came to the fore on the night of 26 May 2016, close to the Line of Control. The site of the encounter was at an altitude of 12,500 ft, J&K. A group of terrorists had infiltrated and it was Dada’s task to stop them before they could go deeper into the Valley. As Sabu Post Commander of Rashtriya Rifles, he was required to move out with his men to establish a stop and successfully engage them if they came his way. Even as Dada’s men detected their movements, the terrorists too perhaps found something amiss and took cover behind the snow clad boulders.
- Dada realized that they could slip away and pose a threat to his men. Signaling his men of his intentions, Dada personally led a charge. The terrorists opened up as the men of Rashtriya Rifles closed in with Dada urging his men onwards trying to get the cross hairs of his rifle on each one of the terrorists in turn. Three of the terrorists fell as Dada pressed the trigger to deliver short bursts. However, a fourth one had taken position to a side. A burst of automatic fire from the fourth terrorist caught Dada unawares.
- Undeterred by the gunshot wounds, Dada continued to pin down the fourth terrorist wounding him gravely. His gallant action of eliminating three terrorists in close quarter engagement and injuring a fourth one in utter disregard to personal safety not only foiled the infiltration bid but also ensured the safety of his men. Dada had always lived his life on his terms with his head held high.
After sending a recommendation letter to Defence Minister of India, Shri Manohar Parrikar dated 9th June 2016, by Arunanchal Pradesh BJP president, Shri Tapir Gao for posthumously honoring the martyr with Ashok Chakra was accepted and was awarded to the martyr’s wife, Mrs. Chasen Lowang Dada.
Telegana bags the highest number of Gallantry Medals
Among the above stated award distributing ceremony, Telangana State has received the highest number of gallantry medals for police personnel in the country on the eve of Independence Day and it is noted that it was the only State unit to secure the President’s police medal for gallantry (PPMG).
- The following two policemen, who lost their lives trying to catch two Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) operatives in Nalgonda district were the recipients of the PPMG
- Sub-Inspector Duddekula Siddaiah
- Constable Chougoni Nagaraju.
Apart from the two policemen who would be honored with the gallantry medal posthumously, Telangana also got a President’s Police Medal for distinguished service to Fire Services Director General Rajiv Ratan. The Police Medal for meritorious service was announced for 11 police personnel.
Key Points of Narendra Modi’s speech on 70th Independence Day Celebrations
Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the nation from the bulwarks of Red Fort in New Delhi on the occasion of 70th Independence Day today.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s speech on Independence Day made it clear that he has completely rerouted his policy on Pakistan with aggressive comments referring to Pakistan’s human rights abuses in its large province of Balochistan as well as Pakistan-Occupied Kashmir.
- Speaking for over 90 minutes, Prime Minister Modi touched upon the achievements of his government over the last two years and stressed that the only way the country can move forward is through unity.
- “Ek Bharat, Shreshta Bharat,” Modi reiterated, further adding that there would be no tolerance for violence in the country and that social discrimination should be ended.