The big boss(USA) has named its first female army combatant commander to be Lori Robinson. The position is one of the most senior in the US military and she was nominated by the President Barack Obama.
- General Lori Robinson has been nominated to lead the US Northern Command
- Northern command covers whole of North America
- US Defence Secretary Ash Carter has nominated the first female in US military history to lead a combatant command
- She is currently commander for the Pacific Air Forces and enrolled in the Air Force in 1982
- She would also be the first ever female combatant commander if nomination is approved by the senate
- If appointed she will she would replace Admiral Bill Gortney, who has had the position since 2014.
- Ash Carter opened up the position of Combat Roles to women last year
- It opened up220,000 positions to women