Telangana IT Minister K T Rama Rao (KTR) was awarded with the Global Champion of Digital Literacy Award by Certiport.
About Digital Literacy :
Digital literacy is the knowledge, skills, and behaviors used in a broad range of digital devices such as smart phones, tablets, laptops and desktop PCs, all of which are seen as network rather than computing devices. Digital literacy initially focused on digital skills and stand-alone computers, but the focus has moved from stand-alone to network devices.
- Digital literacy is distinct from computer literacy and digital skills. Computer literacy preceded digital literacy, and refers to knowledge and skills in using traditional computers (such as desktop PCs and laptops) with a focus on practical skills in using software application packages. Digital skills is a more contemporary term but is limited to practical abilities in using digital devices.
- A digitally literate person will possess a range of digital skills, knowledge of the basic principles of computing devices, skills in using computer networks, an ability to engage in online communities and social networks while adhering to behavioral protocols, be able to find, capture and evaluate information, an understanding of the societal issues raised by digital technologies (such as big data), and possess critical thinking
- Digital literacy does not replace traditional forms of literacy. It builds upon the foundation of traditional forms of literacy.
- Digital literacy is the marrying of the two terms digital and literacy; however, it is much more than a combination of the two terms. Digital information is a symbolic representation of data, and literacy refers to the ability to read for knowledge, write coherently, and think critically about the written word.
- Digital literacy researchers explore a wide variety of topics, including how people find, use, summarize, evaluate, create, and communicate information while using digital technologies. Research also encompasses a variety of hardware platforms, such as computer hardware, cell phones and other mobile devices and software or applications, including web search or Internet applications more broadly.
About Global Champion of Digital Literacy Award :
Certiport found the work done by Rao deserving of a Global Champion of Digital Literacy Award.
- The award recognizes people who are making a difference in preparing students to be digitally literate and competitive in an ever-competitive job market besides creating the infrastructure for growth of IT in their state or country and movement towards providing better governance using technology.
- Certiport recognises government leaders around the world who work tirelessly to help more students become digitally literate and competitive in an always increasingly competitive job market.
- KTR has been progressive and created a great amount of buzz around investment in Telangana for the T Hub, a leading incubator to bring in innovation, entrepreneurship and initiatives to embed the Digital India campaign in Telangana.
- The initiative sets up the Telangana Academy for Skill and Knowledge (TASK) to address the problems of skilling and to improve employability quotient of youth in the State of Telegana.
- It is noted that other leaders recognised with this prestigious award include Barrister Abdur-Raheem Adebato Shittu, Minister for Communication, Federal Republic of Nigeria and Governor Avila of the State of Mexico.