Kolkata and 10 other cities from across the globe, has been honoured with the Best Cities Of 2016 Award in recognition of its inspiring and innovative programme with regard to solid waste management during the C40 Mayors Summit held in Mexico City from November 30 to December 2, 2016.
- From India, Kolkata, Mumbai, Chennai and New Delhi are the members of The International Summit of Mayors of millions plus cities.
- Kolkata is the only Indian city to receive the prestigious award.
- Dilip Yadav, chairman of the Uttarpara Municipality, told PTI over phone from Mexico City after receiving the prestigious award from C40 Chair and Rio de Janeiro Mayor Eduardo Paes.
- C40 Chair and Rio de Janeiro Mayor Eduardo Paes congratulated all the winning cities for their commitment to their citizens and their dedication to tackling climate change.
About Kolkata Solid Waste Management Improvement Project
Kolkata Solid Waste Management Improvement Project has achieved 60-80 % segregation of waste at its source, with further waste segregation occurring at transfer stations.
- The project aims to eradicate open dumping and burning of waste and to limit the concentration of methane gas generated in landfill sites.
- The project involved 100 per cent door to door collection of solid waste, segregation and recycling by way of compositing which is sold in the market.
- Meena, head of the Kolkata delegation to the Mayors Summit said one significant aspect of this project is that ragpickers are part of it.
Other cities that won the award are Addis Adaba, Copenhagen, Curitiba, Sydney and Malborne, Paris, Portland, Seoul Shenzhen, and Yokohama.
About C40 International Mayors Summit
C40 is a global network of large cities taking action to address climate change by developing and implementing policies and programs that generate measurable reductions in both greenhouse gas emissions and climate risks.
- The C40 Cities Awards recognise the best and boldest work being done by mayors to fight climate change and protect people from risks.
- Rio de Janeiro Mayor Eduardo Paes became the C40 Chair in December 2013.
- Kolkata (formerly Calcutta) is the capital of West Bengal. Founded as an East India Company trading post, it was India’s capital under the British Rule from 1773–1911.
- It is known for its grand colonial architecture, art galleries and cultural festivals. It’s also home to Mother House, headquarters of the Missionaries of Charity, founded by Mother Teresa, whose tomb is on site.