Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was on a six-day official visit to India starting from January 14, 2018.
- Netanyahu was accompanied by a 130-member Israeli delegation comprising company representatives from various sectors including agriculture, information technology and defence.
- It is to be noted that Mr. Netanyahu is the second Israeli Prime Minister after Ariel Sharon to visit India in the last 25 years of India-Israel diplomatic relationship.
PM Modi, Netanyahu rename Teen Murti chowk after Israeli city
On January 14, 2018, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Israeli counterpart Benjamin Netanyahu attended a ceremony to rename Teen Murti Chowk in Central Delhi as Teen Murti Haifa Chowk.
- The three bronze statues at Teen Murti chowk represent the Jodhpur, Hyderabad and Mysore Lancers, who were part of the 15 Imperial Service Cavalry Brigade, that successfully attacked and gained control of fortified city of Haifa on September 23, 1918, during World War I.
- During World War I, capture of Haifa, enabled Allied forces to route supplies to the city through the sea.
Israel to invest USD 68.6 mln to boost cooperation with India
Israel will invest $68.6 million to boost cooperation with India in areas like technology, tourism, agriculture and innovation over a period of four years.
- These investment deals were finalised during Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s recent visit to India.
- $68.6 million investment is in addition to the 40 million India-Israel Industrial R&D and Technological Innovation Fund, in which both the countries will contribute equally for over a period of five years.
India, Israel ink nine pacts on cyber security, other sectors
On January 15, 2018, India and Israel inked following nine pacts in key areas, including cyber security medicine and oil & gas sectors
i. MoU on Cyber Security Cooperation between India and Israel
ii. Protocol between India and Israel on Amendments to the Air Transport Agreement
iii. MoU between Union Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas and the Israel Ministry of Energy on cooperation in Oil and Gas Sector
iv. Agreement on Film co-production between India and Israel
v. MoU between Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology and the Israel Institute of Technology for cooperation in the field of space
vi. MoU between the two countries in the field of Homeopathy medicine
vii .Memorandum of Intent between Invest India and Invest in Israel
viii. Letter of Intent between IOCL and Yeda Research and Development Co Ltd for cooperation in the area of concentrated solar thermal technologies
ix. Letter of Intent between IOCL and Phinergy Ltd. for cooperation in the area of metal-air batteries
India, Israel announce ‘I4Fund’ call for R&D projects
On January 15, 2018, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Israeli counterpart Benjamin Netanyahu announced joint research and development projects under the India-Israel Industrial R&D and Technological Innovation Fund (I4F).
- The announcement of ‘I4Fund Call for Proposal’ was marked with the launch of a website as well as the unveiling of a brochure.
- I4F was announced in during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Israel in July, 2017.
- This $40 million fund which will support various research and development (R&D) projects has been jointly established by Department of Science and Technology, India and the National Innovation Authority of Israel with equal contribution.
3rd Raisina Dialogue held in New Delhi
3rd edition of the Raisina Dialogue began in New Delhi on January 16, 201
- It was inaugurated by Prime Minister of Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu.
- Theme of 3rd Raisina Dialogue was “Managing Disruptive Transitions: Ideas, Institutions and Idioms”.
- First held in 2016, Raisina Dialogueis a multilateral conference held annually in New Delhi. It is Indian Government’s flagship conference on geopolitics and geo-economics.
- It is hosted by an independent think tank named Observer Research Foundation in collaboration with the Union Ministry of External Affairs.
PM Modi, Netanyahu inaugurates iCreate centre in Ahmedabad
On January 17, 2018, Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Israeli counterpart Benjamin Netanyahu attended the inauguration of the iCreate centre in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
- iCreate (International Centre for Entrepreneurship and Technology) is an incubation centre for start-ups.
- It is a joint venture between Gujarat Mineral Development Corporation Limited (GMDC) and Gujarat Entrepreneurship and Venture Promotion Foundation (GEVPF).
- The role of iCreate will be to provide technology and assistance to budding entrepreneurs.
Quick Facts about Israel:
♦ Capital – Jerusalem
♦ Currency – Israeli new shekel
♦ Current Prime Minister – Benjamin Netanyahu
♦ Important Rivers – Yarkon, Kishon