The International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers has been observed on 29 May.
The day was established to honour the memory of the UN peacekeepers who have lost their lives in the cause of peace.
- The theme for the 2017 International Day of UN Peacekeepers is “Investing in Peace around the World.
- The International Day of UN Peacekeepers was established by the General Assembly in 2002 in a tribute to all men and women serving in peacekeeping operations .
- It is a prestigious UN Medal for courage and sacrifice.
- The two Indian were Rifleman Brijesh Thapa who served with the UN Organisation Stabilisation Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO).
- Private Ravi Kumar who was deployed with the UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL).
The two laid down their lives while serving in UN peacekeeping operations last year.
Indian Army Celebrates Peacekeeping Day Honours Blue Berets
India’s Permanent Representative to the UN Ambassador Syed Akbaruddin received the medal on behalf of the fallen Indian peacekeepers at the solemn ceremony.
- About 168 Indian troops have made the supreme sacrifice in the line of duty under the UN Flag.
- Vice Chief of Army Staff Sarath Chand applauded the Indian peacekeeping contingents for their dedication, conduct and competence
- On this day the tribute is paid to all the men and women who have served and continue to serve in UN peacekeeping operations for their high level of professionalism, dedication and courage.
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification