May 23rd 2015 is United Nations day that is aimed at ending Obstetric Fistula, which promotes action toward treating and preventing Obstetric fistula, a condition affecting many women in developing nations.Fund raisers, mobile van campaigns,media announcements are few events that promote the International day to end Obstetric Fistula.
Theme for 2015: End fistula. Restore Women’s Dignity.
“We have a moral obligation, as a global community, to complete the unfinished agenda of eradicating fistula. Together, let us keep our promises to support universal human rights and ensure the health and dignity of women and girls everywhere.” – Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon
- Obstretric Fistula,is completely preventable and can be treated injury of childbirth.
- It affects 2 million women and girls world over making them isolated from the communities.
- This fistula by being present in poor women and girls shows deplorable outcome social,economic and gender inequalities.
- Also it shows denial of human rights and inadequate reach to quality reproductive health services.
- UN Secretary-General Mr Ban Ki-moon spoke about the moral obligation of the commuity to finish the unfinished agenda of eradicating fistula.
- Obstretic fistula is one of most tragic and serious injury that occurs during childbirth.
- Enduring depression, social isolation and poverty is the plight of the sufferers.
- Every year up to 1 lakh cases of this occur.
- United Nations Population fund and its partners launched global campaign against fistula eradication in 2003.
- UNFPA head Mr Babatunde spoke about the fact that right combination of political will, financial commitment, ending forced marriage, ensuring girls education and using voluntary family planning methods, it is possible to put an end to sufferings of millions of women and girls
UNFPA- some facts and figures
- United Nations fund for population activities or UNFPA is UN organisation
- Formed in the year 1969.
- Its headquarters is in New York City, USA..
- Head is Mr Babatunde Osotimehin.
- Supports more than 150 nations
Obstretic Fistula- what is it ??
- It is a medical condition where a hole or fistula occurs between rectum and vagina or between bladder and vagina after failed childbirth.
- Some symptoms include repeated vaginal infections,pain during sex,severe ulceration,foot drop etc.
- The Addis Ababa Fistula hospital in Ethiopia is the largest center of the world dealing exclusively in fistula