United Nations (UN) International Day of Yoga (IDY) is annually celebrated on June 21 all over the world.This year 2021 marked 7th International Day of Yoga.The day aims to raise awareness and promote the benefits of practicing yoga.
- The theme of IDY 2021 is ‘Yoga for well-being’.
- The 1st IDY was celebrated on 21st June 2015.
- The UN General Assembly (UNGA) declared June 21st as International Day of Yoga in 2014 by resolution 69/131. The proposal for establishing an International Day for Yoga was proposed by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during UNGA’s 69th session.
- 21 June was selected as it marks the summer solstice, the longest of each year in the northern hemisphere, it also holds special significance in many parts of the world.
PM Modi launches M-Yoga app
On the occasion of the 7th International Day of Yoga, PM Modi addressed the nation and launched the M-Yoga app.The app is developed in collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO) & Ministry of Ayush, Government of India.
- The app will be available worldwide in different languages for people across the world. It will show videos on yoga training based on a common protocol.
- It will help in further building of India’s motto of ‘One World, One Health’.
Harsh Vardhan addresses the Global Yoga Conference 2021
Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Dr Harsh Vardhan addressed the inaugural ceremony of Global Yoga Conference 2021.
- It was organised by ‘Mokshayatan Yog Sansthan’ with the Ministry of AYUSH (Ayurvedic, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy) & Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR).
- The central message for observing Yoga Day in 2021 is ‘Be with Yoga, Be at Home’.
India Post issues Special Cancellation Stamp to mark IDY
For the 1st time, India Post issued a special pictorial cancellation stamp to mark the 7th International Day of Yoga. The stamp will be issued through 810 head post offices across India in one of the largest philatelic commemorations ever.
- All delivery and non-delivery head post offices will put special cancellation on all mail booked in India Post offices on June 21, 2021.
- A cancellation stamp is defined as a postal marking which is used to deface a stamp to prevent its reuse. These stamps are considered as collectibles and are subjects of philatelic studies.
About World Health Organization (WHO)
Director General – Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus
Headquarters – Geneva, Switzerland