The International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking 2019 was observed on June 26. The day is observed to enhance the efforts to achieve an international society free of drug abuse and create awareness on the problems caused by illicit drugs to society. The theme for 2019 was “Health for Justice. Justice for Health”.
- The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) on December 7, 1987 decided to observe the day through its resolution 42/112.
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) persuades the individuals, non-profit organizations, the private sector, and the Member States to get involved in its social media campaign. It launched the 2019 World Drug Report at the United Nations Secretariat in New York.
Highlights of 2019 World Drug Report:
- Globally, around 35 million people suffer from drug use disorders and only 1 out of 7 people receive treatment.
- The surveys in India in 2018 and Nigeria in 2017 provided insights into drug consumption due to vast demographics for the region. India accounted for 30% of the population in Asia alone.
- The survey in India was based on interviews with 5,00,000 people across the nation.
- Among the 271 million people who use any drug, 35 million people, nearly 13%, suffered from a drug use disorder and the death toll was increased, with 5,85,000 deaths in 2017.
- The most widely used drug globally was cannabis. Nearly 188 million people used it in 2017.
- The rate of 15-64-year olds who injected drugs was four times higher in eastern and southeastern Europe and in central Asia.
- Most of the world’s opioids were produced in Afghanistan (263,000 hectares of poppy seed production) and Myanmar (37,300 hectares) was the second largest producer.
Observance of International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking 2019 in India
On the occasion of International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking, Shri Thaawarchand Gehlot, Union Minister of Social Justice & Empowerment launched “17th Run Against Drug Abuse” at JawaharLal Nehru Stadium, New Delhi in the presence of Ministers of State for Social Justice & Empowerment Shri Krishan Pal Gurjar, Shri Ramdas Athawale, Shri Rattan Lal Kataria, Secretary of Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment Smt. Nilam Sawhney and other dignitaries.
- They led the ‘Symbolic Walk’ with Band display.
- “Run Against Drug Abuse” is coordinated by Dr. Sunita Godara who is a 1992 Asian Marathon Champion under the aegis of Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment Govt of India. Tha annual event is supported by the Nodal Agencies National Institute of Social Defence (NISD), Narcotics Control Bureau, Directorate of Prohibition, Govt of Delhi, with the other Stakeholders- United Nations agencies and corporate partners like Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC), Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL), Indian Oil, Indraprastha Gas Limited (IGL), Petronet, New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC), ITS, Lovely Professional University (LPU).
- The theme for the day in India is ‘Listen First’.
♦ Headquarters: New York, US
♦ President: María Fernanda Espinosa (73rd session), Prof. Tijjani Muhammad Bande (designated for the 74th session, September 2019)