According to National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (NCSTRT) data compiled by the US state department, India is third after Iraq and Afghanistan on a list of countries facing terror attacks in 2016. Earlier, Pakistan held the third position.
Analysis of Terror Attack in India:
Out of 11,072 terror attacks in 2016 worldwide, 927 attacks occurred in India, 16% more than 2015 (798). The number of deaths in India also rose 17% from 289 in 2015 to 337 last year while the number of injured increased from 500 in 2015 to 636 last year.
- The US analysis has labelled Naxalsthe third most deadly terror organisation in the world after IS and Taliban, even ahead of Boko Haram. In 2016, nearly two third of terror attacks in India were carried out by Naxals.
- The CPI (Maoist) was behind 336 terror attacks last year in which 174 people were killed and 141 were injured.
- More than half of the terror attacks in India in 2016 took place in four states – J&K, Chhattisgarh, Manipur and Jharkhand.
- Jammu & Kashmir saw a surge of 93% in terror attacks last year. However, as per Indian home ministry’s annual report 2016-17, there was 54.81% increase in terror incidents in the state.
- According to the NCSTRT data, total number of people kidnapped or taken hostage in terrorist attacks in India has reduced 63% from 866 in 2015 to 317 in 2016.
- On average, terrorist attacks in India caused 0.4 total deaths per attack in 2016, compared to 2.4 deaths per attack worldwide.
- Nearly three quarters of attacks (73%) in India in 2016 were non-lethal.
- The deadliest terror attack in India last year was in July 2016 when Naxals attacked CRPF men in Bihar in which 16 people, including assailants, were killed.
- Compared to other countries that experienced most terror attacks in 2016, the diversity of perpetrator groups was much greater in India, with 52 active groups. There were 45 terror groups listed by US in its 2015 report.
Analysis of terror attacks across the world:
The US has identified 334 groups and organisations behind terror attacks in 2016 worldwide, while there were 288 such groups active in 2015.
- It says that number of total attacks worldwide in 2016 reduced by 9% (11,072) against 12,121 in 2015 and total deaths worldwide also reduced by 13% in 2016 (25,621) as compared to 2015 (29,424).
- It is to be noted that number of terror attacks in Pakistan reduced by 27% to 734 in 2016 from 1,010 in 2015.