India has been ranked 3rd in the doping violation report published by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) for the year 2015. The report stated that, 117 athletes from India have been punished after testing positive for banned substances.
- India held the same position in the year 2013 and 2014. The urine samples taken from Indian athletes were used by WADA to find out the violation. The top spot is held by Russia.
- This is the first set of Anti-Doping Rule Violation statistics under the revised WADA Code and third such report in its history since 2013.
- In India, the numbers of dope offenders in the year 2013 were 91 and in the year 2014 were 96 under Anti-doping Rule Violations (ADRV).
Violation in India under WADA
- Of the 117 Indian offenders, two are non-analytical ADRV which means cases that do not involve the detection of a prohibited substance by a WADA-accredited.
- Out of the remaining 115 athletes, 78 are committed by male athletes and 37 are by female athletes.
The following table shows the sport and number of offenders in each category
Cases under National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA)
In India, National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) has recorder a total of 109 Anti-doping Rule Violations (ADRV) in the year 2015.
- For this testing, NADA took 5162 samples out of which 110 tested positive for banned substances. But one case is unsanctioned.
- The top spot is held by Russia with 127 offender which is followed by Italy with 129 and India.
Violation around the world
WADA-accredited laboratories took a total of 229,412 samples in 2015. Out of these, 2,522 samples were reported as Adverse Analytical Findings (AAF) (i.e., Positive).
- There were a total of 1,929 ADRV out of which 1,649 are analytical findings and 280 from evidence based intelligence non analytical findings. A total of 1,901 from athletes and 28 from athlete support personnel were recorded.
- Out of 1649 Analytical ADRV, 1304 cases were of male and 345 female.
- The dope offenders belong to 80 sports (or) disciplines and 121 nationalities.
World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)
- Formation: November 10, 1999.
- Headquarter: Montreal, Canada.
- President Craig Reedie.
- Motto: Play True.