Prime Minister of India Shri Narendra Modi, paid a two-day visit to Brazil from November 13-14, 2019 to attend the 11th annual BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) summit. The visit in detail are as follows:Plenary session of XI BRICS Summit in Brasilia:
PM Modi along with heads of the BRICS countries addressed the plenary session of the 11th BRICS summit in Brasilia, Brazil. The theme of the summit was “Economic growth for an innovative future.”
- 1st BRICS water ministers meet: During the session, first meeting of BRICS Water Ministers in India was proposed by Shri Modi.
Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro to be 2020 Republic Day chief guest:
Brazilian president Jair Messias Bolsonaro accepted Prime Minister of India Shri Narendra Modi’s invite to attend the 2020 Republic Day as chief guest.
- Bolsonaro is the 3rd Brazilian President to be invited for Republic Day celebrations, after Fernando Henrique Cardoso in 1996 and Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva in 2004.
Modi attended BRICS Business Forum at Brasilia:
The Indian PM addressed the BRICS business forum on the sidelines of the BRICS Summit. Some of his key speeches were as follows,
- BRICS accounted for 50% of the world’s economic growth.
- By Next BRICS summit, a joint venture in at least 5 areas with the BRICS countries have to be identified.
- These 5 BRICS nations were also suggested to consider a mutual social security agreement.
Leaders dialogue with BRICS Business Council and New Development Bank in Brasilia:
PM Modi along with other heads of states of BRICS countries participated in the Leaders dialogue with BRICS Business Council and New Development Bank(NDB) which is headquartered in Shanghai, China. The event was held in Brasilia, Brazil.
- $ 500 billion Intra-BRICS trade target: During the dialogue, roadmap to achieve $500 Billion Intra-BRICS trade target was created. The partnership agreement in this regard was made by NDB and BRICS Business Council. The Intra-BRICS trade accounts for just 15% of world trade, while the combined population makes more than 40% of the world’s population.
- BRICS NDB coalition: BRICS countries and NDB were requested to join coalition (temporary group formed to achieve a common goal) for disaster resilient infrastructure initiative.
- Multilateral financial institutions: PM Modi, announced India’s offer to give its full support to multilateral financial institutions in promoting global health.
- BRICS Business Council was asked to consider organizing A hackathon in India on the use of digital health applications.
Meet with other leaders:
Meet with Russian president Vladimir Putin: Shri Narendra Modi met Russian president Vladimir Putin, on the sidelines of the 11th BRICS summit at Brasilia and reviewed on the progress made in their bilateral relationship.
- During the meeting they decided to conduct the 1st Bilateral Regional Forum (BRF) at the level of Russian Provinces and Indian States in 2020.
- PM Modi’s visit to Moscow, Russia to participate in the Victory Day celebrations in 2020 was reiterated.
Meet with Chinese president Xi Jinping: PM Modi and president of the People’s Republic of China Mr. Xi Jinping, held bilateral talks on the sidelines of the summit.
- The Chinese president invited PM Modi to attend the 3rd Informal summit in China in 2020.
- Both the leaders reviewed on the preparations for celebrating the 70th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between India and China.
Meet with Brazil’s president Jair Messias Bolsonaro: During the BRICS summit PM Modi and Brazil’s president Jair Messias Bolsonaro held various bilateral level talks.
During the meet both the nation leaders decided to enhance strategic partnership.
They had discussions to invest in areas of agricultural equipment, animal husbandry, post-harvest technologies and biofuels.
Current chair- Brazil is the current chair of the BRICS grouping which represents over 3.6 billion people
Fact- South Africa was the last country to join BRICS in 2010.
Headquarters- Shanghai, China.
Fact- Brazil is the largest country in both South America and Latin America.
Currency- Brazilian real.
Official language- Portuguese.