On April 12, 2021 Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare, Dr Harsh Vardhan launched a new mission called ‘Aahaar Kranti’. The aim of the mission is to raise awareness of the importance of nutritionally balanced diet & the importance of accessibility to all local fruits & vegetables.
- It is a joint initiative of Vijnana Bharati (Vibha), Global Indian Scientists’ and Technocrats’ Forum (GIST), Ministry of Health & Family Welfare (MoHFW) & Pravasi Bharatiya Academic and Scientific Sampark (PRABHASS).
- The motto of the Mission is Uttam Aahaar Uttam Vichaar or ‘Good Diet-Good Cognition’ to achieve nutritionally balanced diets by consumption of locally sourced fruits and vegetables.
- The program aims to address the problem faced by India and the world called ‘hunger and diseases in abundance’.
- The program will focus on training teachers who will eventually pass on the message to students, their families, and finally society at large.
- On the occasion, a monthly newsletter ‘Aahaar Kranti’ was published by Vigyan Prasar.
- It will work on multiple dimensions like promotion of better awareness, better nutrition and better agriculture.
- According to estimates, India produces as much as two times the amount of calories that it consumes, still many in India are malnourished. One of the main causes of this is the lack of nutritional awareness in all sections of society.
- The UN has declared 2021 as the International Year of Fruits and Vegetables, which aligns with one of the goals of Aahaar Kranti.
- Aahaar Kranti is in line with UN sustainable goal # 3 which emphasizes human well-being reads,“Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages.”
Recent Related News:
i.January 21, 2021, According to a UN report, the number of people facing severe food insecurity was estimated to double to 265 Million by the end of 2020 due to pandemic. It states that around 1.9 Billion people in Asia & Pacific are not able to afford a healthy diet.
About Vijnana Bharati (VIBHA)
President – Vijay P. Bhatkar
Headquarters – New Delhi