Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Dr Harsh Vardhan addressed the 17th World Congress of International Federation of Cervical Pathology and Colposcopy 2021 (IFCPC 2021) held virtually from July 1-5, 2021. It is being organised in Asia for the 1st time and is also the 1st virtual IFCPC World Congress.
- It was organised by Indian Society of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology (ISCCP) & Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, Vardhman Mahavir Medical College & Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi. It was inaugurated by Vice President Venkaiah Naidu.
- Theme – ‘Eliminating Cervical Cancer: Call for Action’, the theme is aligned to the World Health Organisation (WHO) call for Elimination of Cervical Cancer by 2030.
Key Points from the Address
i.Cervical Cancer is the 4th most common cancer in women, affecting half a million women across the world each year and killing a quarter of a million.
ii.He highlighted the efforts taken by India to stop Cervical Cancer.
- India is one of the few developing countries which have formulated the national cancer control program.
- In 2016, India launched the operational guidelines for screening of common cancers – Cervical, Breast, Oral cancers.
- India along with 194 other countries have resolved to work together for elimination of the common cancers through 90% HPV (Human Papillomavirus) Vaccination coverage, 70% screening coverage and 90% treatment for cervical precancer and cancer including access to palliative care.
iii.Government of India is offering intervention to end cancer through two wings of Ayushman Bharat Programme – Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB-PMJAY) & Health and Wellness Centres (HWCs).
Recent Related News:
April 2, 2021, HOPE Consortium’s 1st-ever World Immunisation & Logistics Summit 2021 was held in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare of India virtually participated in a final panel discussion on ‘Focus on Asia: Vaccine production and distribution across Asia’.
About Indian Society of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology (ISCCP)
President – Dr Saritha Shamsunder
Head Office – New Delhi
About Ministry of Health & Family Welfare (MoHFW)
Union Minister – Harsh Vardhan (Chandni Chowk, NCT of Delhi)
Minister of State – Ashwini Kumar Choubey (Buxar, Bihar)