According to the 3rd edition of the Global Terrorism Index 2015 (GTI), India ranked 6th out of 162 nations most affected by terrorism in 2014.
- ISIS and Boko Haram are now jointly responsible for 51% of all global fatalities from terrorist attacks.
- India witnessed a move up by 1.2% in terror-related deaths in 2014 to reach a total of 416.
Highlights of Report in relation to India
As per the report by Washington-based Institute for Economics and Peace, there were 763 incidents which represent a 20% increase from 2013. India has featured 14 times in this list from 2000-2014.
- Terrorist groups – Two deadliest Islamic terrorist groups in 2014 were Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) and Hizbul Mujahideen.
- Deaths – Pakistan-based LeT was responsible for 24 deaths in 2014, while Hizbul Mujahideen was responsible for 11 deaths in 2014, down from 30 deaths in the previous year.
- Suicide tactics – In 2013 Hizbul Mujahideen was the only group in India to use suicide tactics, but in 2014 there were no suicide attacks in India
- Non – Lethal attacks – In 2014 around 70% of attacks were non-lethal.
Highlights of report in relation to World
Globally, terrorism is highly concentrated in 5 countries – Afghanistan, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan and Syria which accounts for 78% of all deaths in 2014.
- The number of lives lost to terrorism around the world increased by 80% in 2014, the highest level ever recorded at 32,658 as compared to 18,111 in 2013.
- Pakistan was ranked 4th in the list while the US was ranked 35th among the nations most impacted by terrorism.
- Boko Haram has become the world’s deadliest terrorist group causing 6,644 deaths compared to ISIS aka ISIL’s 6,073.