Federal Republic of Germany’s prestigious “Cross of the Order of Merit” has been bestowed upon the Padma Shri awardee Goverdhan Mehta, a well-known researcher in Chemical Sciences & former Vice-Chancellor of the University of Hyderabad.
- “Bundesverdienstkreuz” (the Cross of the Order of Merit) has been presented to Mr. Goverdhan by Achim Fabig, the German Consul General in Chennai.
About Goverdhan Mehta
1943 born received his B.Sc. and M.Sc. from the University of Rajasthan and Ph.D. from Pune University. He has authored more than 400 research papers.
- Goverdhan Mehta is at present the National Research Professor and Lilly-Jubilant Chair Professor at the University of Hyderabad.
- He served as the Director of the IISc, Bengaluru (1998-2005) and was also President of the Indian National Science Academy (INSA).
- He is a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS), a Foreign Member of the Russian Academy of Sciences and
- He has been conferred with Chevalier de la Legion d’Honneur by the President of France.
- He also had received the Trieste prize.
In 1995, he became the first Indian scientist to receive the Alexander von Humboldt Research Award.
About Order of Merit of Germany
Established in 1951, it is the only federal decoration of Germany. It was created by the first President of Germany, Theodor Heuss.
Indians conferred with this award:
- In 2014, it was conferred upon Anand Singh Bawa, Kalyan Sachdev and Syed Hasnain.
- In 2015, Raghavendra Gadagkar for contribution in the field of behavioural ecology and sociobiology.