May 2, 2017 was observed as Ganga Swachhta Sankalp Divas by National Mission on Clean Ganga (NMCG) at twelve locations: Kanpur, Bithoor, Allahabad, Devprayag, Varanasi, Patna, Bhagalpur, Kolkata, Raj Ghat (Hardoi), Sahibganj, Srinagar (Uttarakhand), and Vidhur Kuti (Bijnor). Ganga Vichaar Manch and local NGOs organised the event at 30 more locations.
- Ms. Uma Bharti – Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation attended the events at Vidhur Kuti, Srinagar and Devprayag. Events at other locations were presided over by Central and State level dignitaries and senior officials from Ministry of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation and NMCG.
From March 16, 2017 to March 31, 2017, NMCG observed ‘Ganga Swachhta Pakhwada’ in five Ganga Basin States. This programme was a huge success as there was huge mass participation and active involvement from various stakeholders. Owing to such overwhelming response and in order to sustain the momentum for this cause, NMCG decided to organise ‘Ganga Swachhta Sankalp Divas’ on May 2, 2017.
Objectives of Ganga Swachhta Sankalp Divas:
- To spread awareness and evoke active involvement of the masses through GangaSwachhta Sankalp (Pledge).
- Reiterating citizens’ commitment toClean Ganga through a series of events like Swachhta sandesh rally, Shram daan and
- To develop a sense of pride and ownership among citizens and garner their support for Namami Gange programme.
Ganga Cleanliness Resolution Day observed in UP on May 2, 2017
On May 2, 2017, Ganga Cleanliness Resolution Day was observed in 15 cities 985 villages situated on the banks of river Ganga.
- In order to ensure success, district magistrates and senior officials in the state were duly instructed by Rahul Bhatnagar – Uttar Pradesh Chief Secretary.
- In order to seek mass participation, rallies, nukkad nataks and cultural programmes were organised.