Welcome to Online English Section with explanation inAffairsCloud.com. Here we are provding some difficult words from Editorials, which is important for IBPS PO/CLERK/LIC AAO/RRB & SSC CGL EXAM and other competitive exams.
1. TENURE – period of time ,अवधि
Meaning – the conditions under which land or buildings are held or occupied.
Synonyms – tenancy, occupancy, holding, occupation, residence
2. HARD-EARNED – achieved only after a lot of effort , कठिनता से प्राप्त होना
Meaning – having taken a great deal of effort to earn or acquire.
Usage – “her hard-earned money”
3. RETURNS – Returns – profit from an investment , लाभ
Usage – “product areas are being developed to produce maximum returns”
Synonyms – yield, profit, returns, gain, income, revenue, interest, dividend, percentage; informalbunce
4. PARE – to reduce something , कम करना
Meaning – trim (something) by cutting away its outer edges.
Usage – “Carlo pared his thumbnails with his knife”
Synonyms – decorticate, excoriate etc.
5. CRUCIAL – extremely important or necessary , महत्वपूर्ण
Meaning – decisive or critical, especially in the success or failure of something.
Usage – “negotiations were at a crucial stage”
Synonyms – pivotal, critical, key, climacteric, decisive, deciding, determining, settling, testing, trying, searching; major, significant, influential, momentous, consequential etc.
6. PECULIAR – unusual and strange, sometimes in an unpleasant way ,अजीब
Meaning – different to what is normal or expected; strange.
Usage – “he gave her some very peculiar looks”
Synonyms – strange, unusual, odd, funny, curious, bizarre, weird, uncanny, queer, unexpected, unfamiliar, abnormal, atypical, anomalous, untypical, different etc.
7. REGIME – a system or ordered way of doing things , व्यवस्था
Meaning – a government, especially an authoritarian one.
Usage – “ideological opponents of the regime”
Synonyms – : government, authorities, system of government, rule, reign, dominion, sovereignty, jurisdiction, authority, control, command, administration, establishment.
8. INEVITABLY – Inevitable – something that is sure to happen and cannot be prevented , अपरिहार्य, अटल
Meaning – as is certain to happen; unavoidably
Usage – “inevitably some details are already out of date”
Synonyms – naturally, automatically, as a matter of course, necessarily, of necessity, by force of circumstance, inescapably, unavoidably.
9. Predicament – a difficult, unpleasant or embrassing situation , कठिन परिस्थिति
Usage – “the club’s financial predicament”
Synonyms – difficult situation, awkward situation, mess, difficulty, problematic situation, issue, plight, quandary etc.
10. Perspective – a particular way of considering something (point of view) , दृष्टिकोण
Usage – “most guidebook history is written from the editor’s perspective”
Synonyms – outlook, view, viewpoint, point of view, standpoint, position, stand, stance, angle, slant, attitude.