Welcome to Online English Section with explanation in AffairsCloud.com. Here we are creating question sample in Fill in the blanks, which is BASED ON IBPS PO/CLERK/LIC AAO/RRB & SSC CGL EXAM and other competitive exams.
- TB once affected every stratum of society, but it now afflicts the most______________populations.
4) undimmedAnswer – 3)
Explanation: vulnerable – exposed to the possibility of being attacked or harmed, either physically or emotionally.
- TB______________many people who do not vote, such as refugees, prisoners, and the destitute.
4) comfortAnswer – 1)
Explanation: afflicts – (of a problem or illness) cause pain or trouble to; affect adversely.
- Discrimination, stigma, and isolation are not just______________features of weak societies; they foster conditions that facilitate TB infections and increase the rate of diffusion.
4) jejuneAnswer – 2)
Explanation: pernicious – having a harmful effect, especially in a gradual or subtle way.
- This makes it predictable. You don’t need much economics to know that if the price of your______________brand of toothpaste goes up, you are more likely to switch to a cheaper brand.
4) preferredAnswer – 4)
Explanation: preferred – like (one thing or person) better than another or others; tend to choose.
- Over time, the number of antibiotics to which bacteria are______________has been dwindling, and some pathogens have become resistant to most or all existing drugs.
4) contraryAnswer – 2)
Explanation: susceptible – likely or liable to be influenced or harmed by a particular thing.
- Most antibiotics are natural______________of soil bacteria, in which antibiotic resistance can occur naturally.
4) surrogateAnswer – 1)
Explanation: products – an article or substance that is manufactured or refined for sale.
- If this______________of antibiotics does not end, we will soon find ourselves without drugs to treat bacterial infections effectively.
4) deferenceAnswer – 1)
Explanation: abuse – use (something) to bad effect or for a bad purpose; misuse.
- As of last week, jobless claims remained rather low, as they have for some time, which______________for US stock markets.
1) bodes well
2) regression can
3) stagnation could
4) move mayAnswer – 1)
Explanation: bodes well – The verb bode suggests forecasting. Something bodes well when the clues or signs imply a favorable outcome.
- A third indicator is a subcomponent of the same ISM survey: manufacturers’ new orders and______________.
4) enlargeAnswer – 1)
Explanation: inventories – a complete list of items such as property, goods in stock, or the contents of a building.
- This will arguably be one of the most important indicators for both China and the rest of the global economy for______________to come.
4) yearsAnswer – 4)
Explanation: years – the time taken by the earth to make one revolution around the sun.