Current Affairs PDF

English Questions: Cloze Test Set – 181

AffairsCloud YouTube Channel - Click Here

AffairsCloud APP Click Here

Hello Aspirants.

Welcome to Online English Section with explanation in Affairs Here we are creating question sample in Cloze test, which is BASED ON IBPS & SBI PO/CLERK/LIC AAO/RRB, RBI, IPPB,SSC CGL EXAM and other competitive exams !!!

From the discovery of penicillin in 1928 to the introduction of the last of the main groups of antibiotics in the 1960s, humanity’s capacity to fight (1) bacteria has been transformative. But, over time, the number of antibiotics to which bacteria are (2) has been dwindling, and some pathogens have become resistant to most or all existing drugs. As a result, once-treatable infections are becoming deadly again.
Already, antibiotic resistance is leading to an estimated 700,000 deaths per year, with financial costs reaching tens of billions of dollars. As antibiotic resistance continues (3) our ability to treat cancers, transplant organs, and implant prosthesis, these figures will only rise.
Many factors have contributed to rising antibiotic resistance. Bacteria can reproduce and mutate rapidly, and they can establish something of a “genetic Internet” that enables certain pathogenic bacteria to “download” antibiotic-resistant genes. Moreover, most antibiotics are natural (4) soil bacteria, in which antibiotic resistance can occur naturally. When human-made antibiotics were introduced on (5) scale, the bacteria with resistance became the (6) .
Today, humans release about 100,000 tons of antibiotics per year. If those antibiotics were being used properly and saving lives, a reasonable cost-benefit analysis might be possible. But about 70% of them are used to make farm animals to grow a bit faster. The other 30%, while used to treat people, are often (7) incorrectly or needlessly. And, because a substantial share of the used drugs are released into the environment with wastewater and manure, bacterial communities in soils, waters, and wildlife are also exposed.
If this (8) antibiotics does not end, we will soon find ourselves without drugs to treat bacterial infections effectively. But while some steps are being taken – a high-level United Nations meeting last September produced proposals for some international measures – they are far (9) .
What is really needed is an immediate worldwide ban on the agricultural use of antibiotics. Moreover, guidelines for the clinical use of antibiotics, which the medical community now follows as closely as those concerning how to pick a necktie, must be reviewed and strongly enforced. These two measures alone – both of which could be enacted by governmental regulatory agencies – would reduce the use of antibiotics by nearly 80%, slowing the rise of antibiotic resistance (10) .

  1. 1) mitigative
    2) hygienic
    3) pathogenic
    4) aseptic
    5) cathartic
    Answer – 3)
    Explanation : pathogenic

  2. 1) defiant
    2) susceptible
    3) resistant
    4) contrary
    5) rebellious
    Answer – 2) 
    Explanation : susceptible

  3. 1) of anneal
    2) from invigorate
    3) for fortify
    4) to undermine
    5) of strengthen
    Answer – 4)
    Explanation : to undermine

  4. 1) products of
    2) cause from
    3) resource for
    4) substitute of
    5) surrogate for
    Answer – 1)
    Explanation : products of

  5. 1) the midget
    2) a pocket
    3) the minuscule
    4) a miniature
    5) a massive
    Answer – 5)
    Explanation : a massive

  6. 1) most prevalent
    2) more limited
    3) much restricted
    4) most constrained
    5) most predetermined
    Answer – 1)
    Explanation : most prevalent

  7. 1) volitional
    2) prescribed
    3) spontaneous
    4) gratuitous
    5)  deliberated
    Answer – 2)
    Explanation : often prescribed

  8. 1) respect to
    2) deference of
    3) obeisance for
    4) abuse of
    5) preservation to
    Answer – 4)
    Explanation : abuse of

  9. 1) to legitimate
    2) from adequate
    3) to candid
    4) for equitable
    5) from useless
    Answer – 2)
    Explanation : from adequate

  10. 1) perceptibly
    2) evidently
    3) substantially
    4) palpably
    5) conspicuously
    Answer – 3)
    Explanation : substantially