Some Basic Info
- Employment exchange means any office or place established and maintained by the Government whose activities are registration, placement of job seekers, career counselling, and vocational guidance and collection of employment market information.
- Digital India is an initiative of Government of India to integrate the government departments and the people of India. It aims at ensuring the government services are made available to citizens electronically by reducing paperwork. The initiative also includes plan to connect rural areas with high-speed internet networks..
Now, The News
- The Union Minister of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises, Shri Kalraj Mishra, digitally launched the Employment Exchange for Industries today.
- The Minister stated that the digital employment exchange is in line with the Prime Minister’s vision of Digital India wherein through this employment exchange for industries, job seekers can find employers and vice versa.
- The Minister mentioned that industrialists have raised concerns of lack of skilled workforce not only for them but also for their suppliers, which are usually MSME units. Large units who are dependent on MSMEs as suppliers need high quality output, which in the absence of skilled manpower results in non-competitiveness of MSMEs and Indian industry as a whole.
- In our country there has been momentum to reap the demographic dividend. But unless, these skilled hands find the appropriate jobs and the appropriate employer, it will lead to frustration and skepticism to the entire skilling program of this country. Therefore, it is utmost important that these skilled hand get a platform where they can find livelihoods for themselves. Thus, this facility will enable industrial units find suitable manpower and job seekers find suitable jobs.
- Demographic dividend means, “the economic growth potential that can result from shifts in a population’s age structure, mainly when the share of the working-age population (15 to 64) is larger than the non-working-age share of the population (14 and younger, and 65 and older). In other words it is “a boost in economic productivity that occurs when there are growing numbers of people in the workforce relative to the number of dependents.” “A country with both increasing numbers of young people and declining fertility has the potential to reap a demographic dividend.